Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Hi everyone - totally confused

videotec 14 8 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2008 7:30PM
My name is Pete, 66years old and really confused with my new EOS 300d.Can't seem to get used to all the functions yet,not getting the results expected, but then it's early days yet,and im'e sure you guys out there are going to help put me on the road to some more satifactory results.
The wife say's im'e TOO fussy and that my pics are OK but i think i can do MUCH better (WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS) so to speak.
I look forward to contributing some of my efforts in the near future.
csurry 20 9.2k 92
27 Jul 2008 7:36PM
Hi Pete,

welcome to the site. I'm sure if you upload some shots and include a question about it or the camera someone will be able to help.

Take some time, read the manual, experiment and most of all never be afraid to make a mistake.

Experimenting is free with digital, so take a subject, experiment with lots of settings and learn what works.

Cheryl
videotec 14 8 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2008 7:40PM

Quote:Hi Pete,

welcome to the site. I'm sure if you upload some shots and include a question about it or the camera someone will be able to help.

Take some time, read the manual, experiment and most of all never be afraid to make a mistake.

Experimenting is free with digital, so take a subject, experiment with lots of settings and learn what works.

Cheryl

User_Removed 18 17.9k 8 Norway
27 Jul 2008 7:51PM

Quote:Hi Everyone-Totally Confused

Based on the your response to Cheryl's input, so am I now!! Smile

Welcome Peter! To hell with everyone - believe in yourself. Follow Cheryl's excellent advice and start posting some of your work. Wink Plenty of advice and guidance is available at the ask of a question!
ann_g 18 19 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2008 9:52PM
Hi Pete,

I see you managed to find your way here then Smile

I'll be keeping an eye on your uploads - come on - let us see a few Smile

Ann Smile
User_Removed 20 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2008 9:57PM
If you're getting confused Pete then this is the site for you.
Good luck and I hope that the 'Photographers' on here can help you.
You'll probably get some 'Help' from the other members as well.
SoulOfNature 14 23 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2008 10:02PM

Quote:I look forward to contributing some of my efforts in the near future.

Hi Pete looks like you and I are in the same boat lol Smile I have just bought the 400d ,I also have bought the canon EOS field guide which is very useful ,I have only had my camera a couple of weeks and the manual is already falling to bits lol I have read it that much,today I have just been sitting in the garden taking a few pics of out and nowt just to practice the settings in manual mode,remember you can use your card up then delete delete delete soooooo I will go along with Cheryl's advise Smile good luck ,I will look forward to seing some of your work in the future ,I will look forward to seing some of mine come to that hehehehehe lol Smile
chase Plus
17 2.4k 644 England
27 Jul 2008 10:05PM
Hi Peter & welcome to epz,a good site to learn from with lots of help from other members.
I was in much the same boat as you are when I first joined but I spent lots of time looking at other images on here ,reading tutorials & magazines...oh yes & the camera manual Wink Don't be afraid to try lots of things then perhaps settle on one..master it & move to another.
Good luck...
maggie66 14 145 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2008 10:10PM
I know what you mean Pete. I still haven't figured it all out but am really enjoying trying and making mistakes too. I am probably one of the 'Other members' that 'Laurel Steinbeck' is referring to!
Its a great site and everyone has been really helpful, I am sure you will learn a lot - I look forward to seeing some of your work
Maggie
MrsS 16 4.5k 18 England
27 Jul 2008 10:23PM
Hi Pete, I got my first digital camers just over a year ago, a 300d like yourself.

There's no substitute for just "having a go", but I can heartily recommend the members meetings, as everyone I've met has been really helpful in finding my way around the camera etc (and I didn't even know about Depth of Field or ANYTHING!) Wink

I now set my camera to AV, and then dial in the "f" stop I want Smile

HTH Smile
Seriously, if you can get to a meet near you, DO! Smile

F xx
JJGEE 17 8.0k 18 England
27 Jul 2008 10:35PM
I'm totally confused as well !
As a bit of fun I used a Single Use Camera ( disposable camera, cost £5 ) recently and got the best results for years.
So instead of going "digital" I'm thinking of getting rid of my 25 year old Medium Format Camera gear and buying a "job" lot of these disposables Wink
User_Removed 20 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2008 10:45PM
There you go Pete. I rest my case.
I'll let you guess which group dopey CL hides behind.
Best try and reach someone from the 'Photographers' group. I'm sure they'll help you.

(My last word)
Just Jas Plus
20 26.4k 1 England
27 Jul 2008 10:49PM

Quote:I'm totally confused as well !
As a bit of fun I used a Single Use Camera ( disposable camera, cost £5 ) recently and got the best results for years.
So instead of going "digital" I'm thinking of getting rid of my 25 year old Medium Format Camera gear and buying a "job" lot of these disposables

Good idea! Then you can get a CD scan done of the negs when you have them D&Pd! LOL!

jas
27 Jul 2008 10:57PM
Now now boys this is not creating a good impression for Pete now is it?
This site is so friendly and helpful I have learned loads so far (not that that was hard as I knew nothing when I started!) Have fun and above all enjoy and remember photography is very subjective - each to their own tastes.
Maggie
27 Jul 2008 11:10PM
LOL!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.