Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

High quality scanning services - help needed.

Consulo 16 840 10 Scotland
2 Feb 2011 11:52AM
I've been using my Mamiya for a while now (and my holga for longer) and I'm starting to gather a pool of images that I'm very pleased with. One weakness in my film workflow, however, is scanning.

I own a canon 8400F, and whilst this has been fine for very basic scanning to get my images up on the web, it's a very poor workhorse indeed if I wanted to sell such images as prints. As I want to start selling images through my website and by other means, until I can afford a much better scanner, it looks like getting my slides and negatives scanned by a third party is the way to go.

Can anybody recommend anywhere that I can send my images off to to obtain very high-quality scans for a reasonable price? Any post-scan work will be done by myself as I'm competent in that area, but I'm looking for somewhere that I can send my images off to to obtain a large image file size that can be printed big if needs be.

Cheers,
Michael.
SteveCharles 18 2.3k 18 England
2 Feb 2011 12:16PM
You could send to somewhere like Peak Imaging, they do custom scans, see here.

I don't know what options there are in your part of the world, but another option would be to book time on a decent scanner and do it yourself. For example at Calumet in Drummond St. London, you can use a Flextight for 35/hour + VAT - maybe they do it in Edinburgh? Obviously the more scans you can get done in an hour the more cost efective it is!
2 Feb 2011 12:41PM
Cheers, Steve.

I actually gets films developed at Peak, so it should've been a no-brainer to check there; thanks for the link. There is a calumet up here, so I'll have a look at that as well and see what's what.
landandlight 15 46 Scotland
2 Feb 2011 1:52PM
Easy...check out Ian Scovell Probably the best run and colour managed Imacon setup in the UK.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
2 Feb 2011 2:25PM
Michael,

Are the films you need scanned black & white or colour (or both)?

The Peak prices look horrific, given the max print sizes they recommend from each size of scanned file.

I had some 120 FP4s developed and scanned to CD here. Much less expensive than Peak but you maybe need to check that their quality meets your needs.
2 Feb 2011 3:36PM

Quote:Easy...check out Ian Scovell Probably the best run and colour managed Imacon setup in the UK.

Hmm... very interesting. I think I might send a couple of images of to Ian to see the results.
landandlight 15 46 Scotland
2 Feb 2011 5:01PM
You won't be dissapointed, 1st class service.
rogerbryan 16 397 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2011 12:47AM
Bump
10 Feb 2011 12:16PM

Quote:You won't be dissapointed, 1st class service.

And you are correct!

Got my first set of images back from Ian this morning and I'm knocked sideways at the quality. Thank you for putting me in touch with him. Smile
SteveCharles 18 2.3k 18 England
10 Feb 2011 2:59PM
Fancy posting examples Michael? I know 1000px wont show the full quality, but I'd be interested to see, I had a good look at his site too. Which service did you use?
11 Feb 2011 2:13PM
I've posted one of the shots for you, Steve: click me.
timparkin 14 27 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2011 10:42PM
I'm providing high end drum scanning for reasonable prices at http://www.cheapdrumscanning.com anything up to 4000dpi and good shadow response. 6x7's come back as 700Mb files..
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2011 9:11AM

Quote:Michael,

Are the films you need scanned black & white or colour (or both)?

The Peak prices look horrific, given the max print sizes they recommend from each size of scanned file.

I had some 120 FP4s developed and scanned to CD here. Much less expensive than Peak but you maybe need to check that their quality meets your needs.

Are the print sizes that bad? If my (limted) experience with One Vision Imaging is anything to go by they are very conservative in their estimates, and these figures are for very critical viewing. After all, theydon't want to say 'great for A0' and have some picky blighter whinging like mad and spamming forums with complaints.
Most people (like me Tongue ) would probably be OK with larger sizes than those quoted.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.