High speed sync

Graham15 10 13 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2018 12:34PM
I have a canon 70d and have been trying to shoot with HSS, however my camera will not let me shoot above 1/250. I have the Yongnuo 568ex II and this has the capability to shoot up to 1/8000. when I mount this on my camera and try to set it up for HSS a warning appears saying Flash incompatible or power turned off. how can I overcome this, it is driving me mad. I can get it to work on my Canon 1000d but not on my 70d

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
8 8.4k 33 Norway
9 Aug 2018 1:02PM
The second response here by member 'kli' might help...
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
9 Aug 2018 1:28PM

Quote:The second response here by member 'kli' might help...

Problem is that that refers to using the speed light off camera Malc, I believe the OP is using the speed light on camera.

It should be as simple as enabling HSS on the speed light, you could try starting with both camera and flash turned off, mount the speed light, turn the camera on, wait for a couple of seconds then turn on the speed light and then enable HSS.

I presume you are trying to use flash as a fill in daylight or trying to match/overcome bright daylight in which case a neutral density filter on the lens can help without the loss of power HSS involves.
9 Aug 2018 1:35PM
Thanks I will give it a try
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.2k 58 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2018 1:49PM
I had to use a HHS radio trigger to get this to work, using flash on camera just was not working.
Also the power output at 1/8000 was quite low and i had to be close to the subject . Bee1 , Bee2 , Splash
9 Aug 2018 2:05PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated 👍 Graham
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
9 Aug 2018 2:26PM

Quote:I had to use a HHS radio trigger to get this to work, using flash on camera just was not working.
Also the power output at 1/8000 was quite low and i had to be close to the subject .

This is the thing, because of the way it works HSS will drastically reduce the output, the speed light effectively 'strobes' during the exposure becoming almost a continuous source for the length of the exposure. For the most part it can be far more effective to use a neutral density filter on the lens to bring the shutter speed down to sync speed...

Jack you may find that you did not need HSS for those images, simply reduce the power of the flash and you will achieve a far shorter duration of exposure than you will with HSS Wink
9 Aug 2018 10:38PM
Thanks for your reply
sitan1 Plus
10 1.2k United Kingdom
10 Aug 2018 11:35AM
On my nikon cameras I had to go into the settings and change the camera sync speed to its maximum which was 1/320 fp the fp mode enabled high speed sync, might be similar on your canon camera
13 Aug 2018 1:55PM
Sitan1, thank you for your reply, however I have tried everything I know but it still won't work, I think I will have to invest in some HSS trigger's to get it working as Phil 04 said he had to do. Thanks everyone for your input. G🤞📸
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
13 Aug 2018 4:07PM

Quote:Phil 04 said he had to do

I think that was Jack who managed to get HSS working via a trigger, All my Canon and Godox gear simply works....

Off camera flash is always better than on camera so a trigger will be a good investment... I am not familiar with Yongnuo but it would appear that the YN - 622C supports HSS.

Other than that you can often bring your shutter speed down to the synch speed with a neutral density filter (I actually prefer working that way as I can utilise more of the flash power).
13 Aug 2018 7:03PM
Thanks for the information regarding ND filter I will give it a try.👍📸

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.