PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

High street shopping

25 Jul 2020 1:29PM
Ive just been to B&Q, they have great systems in place. Only one person was not wearing a mask, and made no attempt to social distance. When we went to join the queue to pay it was quite long so the yellow and black markers stopped but there was still 2m distancing tape in beyond that, it was just black. One older gentleman jumped into the queue before us standing directly behind another older couple and only when the yellow and black markers came up did he abide by distancing. I'd read a covid document only the day before produced by a government agency I'd never heard of and they mentioned that people who would not normally comply with signs would actually do so when presented with yellow and black ones, I know its generally used in warning signs but I never thought I'd witness it so well in practice.

It does seem alot busier in town today.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.2k 2248 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2020 2:02PM
We visited Homebase when our strimmer fell apart during lockdown, the system there was brilliant. Distancing works best when, as at Waitrose, Homebase, there's a member of staff at the door controlling admissions, and explaining procedures. The difference between stores that maintain a good level of staffing and those that don't has been very telling in recent months, and I know that a lot of people are now making their choices accordingly.
dark_lord Plus
16 2.6k 684 England
25 Jul 2020 2:21PM
I'v only been food shopping, with one visit to the post office which is in a local shop. The particular local Sainsgury's is ok but Aldi is very variable with regards to social distancing but tose shops are in very different areas so no surprises there.

As for other shops even before the Virus I didn't go to the 'high street' (includes malls) as I had no need or desire to do so.
In fact before the current situation it was very easy to social distance given the low footfall (I was just passing through, en route).
peterjones 18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2020 2:24PM
For me high street shopping has always been a pain in the bum even before house arrest.
25 Jul 2020 4:22PM
Her ladyship deals with the food shopping, having switched to Waitrose for most due to the good management of customers and space there. I'm avoiding shops as much as possible (but then I always did!) unless I absolutely have to get something urgently, otherwise I'll use online or click & collect. Not been near a pub since February now but have visited some quieter cafes when out.

The local high street is very quiet (small town) and friends tell me Norwich is almost deserted at times. If I do have to go there it would only be for something like shoes as I'm simply not prepared to put up with queues, few toilets, limited cafe facilities and now this ineffective muzzle we are ordered to wear. Apparently it's dangerous to walk past someone in a shop without it but fine to sit in a pub all evening according to our so-called 'government'.
steve_p 14 1.2k England
27 Jul 2020 12:14PM
Iíve been to a shop twice since lockdown was eased. It was easy enough. However now we are required to wear these horrible masks I donít intend to visit another one! I find them a disturbing sight, especially the black ones.
Before we were told to wear them, IMHO they were used as fashion accessories or disguises anyway.
mrswoolybill Plus
27 Jul 2020 1:18PM

Quote:Iíve been to a shop twice since lockdown was eased. It was easy enough. However now we are required to wear these horrible masks I donít intend to visit another one! I find them a disturbing sight, especially the black ones.
Before we were told to wear them, IMHO they were used as fashion accessories or disguises anyway.

I find this comment extraordinary. OK, wearing a mask for an hour or so is mildly uncomfortable and inconvenient, but it's really no great hardship. If you decide to stay in instead, and can manage that in practical terms, fine.
To suggest however that people were wearing them as a fashion accessory before they became compulsory is absurd, and frankly insulting to those who have shown social responsibility. Face covering is primarily about protecting other people. The WHO calculate that around 80% of Covid-19 cases are asymptomatic - ie you or I could well be carrying the virus without being aware of it.
And as for disguise, I recognise acquaintances wearing masks, they recognise me. What puzzles me is whether they ever really worked for bank robbers!
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
27 Jul 2020 2:31PM

Quote:wearing a mask for an hour or so is mildly uncomfortable and inconvenient, but it's really no great hardship.

That's entirely subjective.

I wore a proper mask once, one of those pleated blue things, which my daughter gave me, to visit London and I hated it.
It was hugely uncomfortable and extremely inconvenient.
I'd never describe it as being no great hardship; quite the opposite, in fact.
And it fell to bits before the day was half over.
Nowadays, I use a bandana.
Although slightly less so, it's still uncomfortable and inconvenient but it does, at least, remain in one piece, screwed up in my pocket, when I'm not using it.
steve_p 14 1.2k England
27 Jul 2020 4:43PM
As I said before, its only my opinion, but why would you want a floral mask unless its a fashion accessory of sorts. I have had to make a hospital visit recently, I have a Bandana which is fine after you have got over steaming up glasses !
These black masks look intimidating . I just don't like them, I do appreciate the need for masks, however.
In my defence a lot of the BBC news photos had badly photoshopped masks added. This was early on in the pandemic before masks were more widespread.
I'm happy to stay in anyway because I am at high risk.

27 Jul 2020 5:03PM
Rather than a fashion statement I would wear a floral mask or patterned mask simply to appear less 'robber' like or less intimidating if you prefer the proper wording. Facing a young child with a pretty or artistic mask |I would suspect creates an interest rather than a concern. It also adds a lighter atmosphere to what could be quite frightening.
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
27 Jul 2020 5:34PM

Quote:Rather than a fashion statement I would wear a floral mask or patterned mask simply to appear less 'robber' like or less intimidating if you prefer the proper wording. Facing a young child with a pretty or artistic mask |I would suspect creates an interest rather than a concern. It also adds a lighter atmosphere to what could be quite frightening.

That's the first positive thing that I've come across re. this enforced nonsense.
mrswoolybill Plus
27 Jul 2020 6:03PM
Re glasses - have a mask that fits properly over the nose and then wear your glasses outside it. I wear reading glasses when shopping, it works.
27 Jul 2020 7:18PM
I've got a pack of the blue paper ones and although the first time was slightly unnerving and felt slightly claustrophobic, you get used to it, it feels odd not to wear one now, and I've never had one fall apart - perhaps you had bad batch.

I ventured into a couple of shops today, it was nice to feel like I could again because everyone was wearing a mask

A study here on masks https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-23/homemade-face-masks-work-best-with-multiple-layers-study-finds

SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
27 Jul 2020 8:15PM
I hate wearing one but if it means i can go out and into shops, I'll do it. The alternative is complete misery.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.