Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Home Insurance

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
7 Oct 2016 12:19PM
Hi....looking to renew my home/contents insurance, can any member recommend a reasonably priced, reliable company, I've had quotes from Admiral and Aviva, any others I should look at ?

....thanks....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 13 932 26 England
7 Oct 2016 12:33PM
I do mine via moneysupermarket.com or a similar comparison site, enter your details once and get loads of options back, just pick the one that's right for you.

I do this every couple of years as most Insurance companies hike the prices for existing customers.

Chris
cats_123 Plus
15 4.9k 29 Northern Ireland
7 Oct 2016 1:27PM
Have used M&S in the past (and Direct Line)..difficult to predict `reasonableness' but M&S are offering a 20% discount online

M&S Bank
We're currently using Towergate insurance, but that's only because we have a non-standard construction property..and there's little competition in that market
Railcam 13 782 2 Scotland
7 Oct 2016 6:25PM
Just remember that comparison sites do not include all insurance companies. I know that Direct Line do not participate in comparison sites and I am sure there are others.
Chrism8 13 932 26 England
7 Oct 2016 6:38PM

Quote:Just remember that comparison sites do not include all insurance companies. I know that Direct Line do not participate in comparison sites and I am sure there are others.

Fair point, but each time I've used them, I've been able to bring my expenditure down and keeping like for like cover.

Chris
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.6k 1 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2016 6:57PM
Go through quidco.
I got 60 and 50 back off Aviva on car and house insurance.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
7 Oct 2016 6:59PM
You need to check the small-print and see exactly what's covered. We've had problems with underwriters who decide that running a business from home with a couple of dozen visitors each week constitutes an unacceptable risk. We're with NFU Mutual who offer superb cover but not low-cost. The business kit is covered by Towergate and they're equally superb. To some extent, you get what you pay for!

I'm wary of companies that say they'll match any renewal quote. Saga refused to match when we found several motor quotes for half the price they were asking and this is for somebody with a good track record.
11 Oct 2016 7:28PM
Thanks everyone...I googled 'em all and finally went with Aviva.
....unfortunately I forgot to do it through Quidco...Paid 175.
.....cheers Mike
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
12 Oct 2016 4:22PM
Hope you never have to make a claim! Aviva must be one of the most obstructive insurers to deal with. If they can find the slightest reason to get out of a claim they will do so. Check the small print VERY carefully.
12 Oct 2016 5:45PM
.....Oh dear
collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2016 5:50PM

Quote:Hope you never have to make a claim! Aviva must be one of the most obstructive insurers to deal with. If they can find the slightest reason to get out of a claim they will do so. Check the small print VERY carefully.

I think this applies to ALL insurance companies from Cars to Health, from Home to Life. Its essential to be fully open and honest when completing forms for any insurance if they can find a way to avoid paying a claim they will find it.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
12 Oct 2016 6:46PM
Sometimes, insurance companies can be just plain unreasonable.

About 15 years ago, my wife needed to have a knee replaced and we subscribed to health insurance. They refused the 8.5k claim because my wife had mentioned a sore knee to the doctor many decades earlier. We were left with the impression that this insurer scoured medical records to find some pretext to allow them to refuse to pay On another occasion, they approved a procedure over the phone but wouldn't pay the whole bill.

One member of our local business scene had a serious house fire. The loss adjuster noticed that the back door lock didn't have the correct type of lock and this almost destroyed the claim.

Is this "utmost good faith" that's alleged to be the basis for the insurance business?
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
12 Oct 2016 7:22PM
We suffer because of the few dishonest folk out there who don't believe it's a crime to put an old wreck of a car in a falling down building, burn them both, and submit a claim, helping drive all our premiums through the roof. The person that did this told me what he did, and he was very indignant about the fact the insurance company did a thorough investigation, and refused to pay the claim.
collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2016 10:22AM
A recent case, my sons boss travelled to a shopping centre with her husband. They parked the car ( a Merc) and she decided not to take her handbag so she left it hidden on the back seat. They had privacy glass on the rear windows so they assumed it was OK to do so. Her husband locked the car and off they went. When they returned to the car it had gone. There was a lot of broken glass on the floor and the police said that they had got in by breaking a window.
They made an insurance claim and the first question the company asked was "Can you present to them both sets of car keys". Innocently she declared "no, because the second set was in her handbag in the car" which of course had been stolen.
In summary the company refused to pay out any claim because keys were left in the car, even though it was double locked. Which of course is how the car was stolen after the window was broken the handbag on the back seat gave them a key......... They now have to still settle the finance balance ( 18,000) and also buy another car (30,000). A hard but lesson for everyone.....

Note how the insurance company asked a loaded question which really got them their get out of jail card from the start..
thewilliam 11 6.1k
13 Oct 2016 11:04AM
It's quite normal for an insurance company to ask for both sets of car keys in the event of a theft.

A couple of decades ago, I had a car stolen from right outside our house and I was asked to produce both sets of keys. The insurer told me that some owners have been known to leave the keys in the ignition when the car is outside the house or at a petrol station and the theft insurance is void in such cases.

I remember a video that featured a reformed car thief explaining what owners could do to avoid trouble. This changed a few of my habits. In particular, we should always assume that our actions are being observed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.