Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

How did it work for you and sick of "clique"?

magda_indigo 18 418 England
24 Aug 2004 4:19PM
CLIQUE

\Clique\, n. [F., fr. OF. cliquer to click. See Click, v. i.] A narrow circle of persons associated by common interests or for the accomplishment of a common purpose; -- generally used in a bad sense

CLIQUE

\Clique\, v. i. To associate together in a clannish way; to act with others secretly to gain a desired end; to plot; -- used with together.

CLIQUE

n : an exclusive circle of people with a common purpose [syn: coterie, ingroup, inner circle, pack, camp]

SO THE FIRST EXPLANATION IS CORRECT, EXCEPT FOR 'generally used in a bad sense', HOW WOULD THAT WORK HERE?

SECOND? HELLO? SECRETLY? GAIN WHAT ENDS? P
PLOT?

THIRD? EXCLUSIVE? PACK?

BEFORE I USE A WORD I ALWAYS MAKE SURE I KNOW VERY WELL WHAT IT MEANS.

HERE'S HOW IT WORKED FOR ME, I JUST FOLLOWED THE NATURAL FLOW.
I UPLOADED MY FIRST IMAGES, WANTED TO KNOW IN THE FIRST PLACE WHO VISITED AND WHAT THEIR WORK WAS LIKE, SO THESE WERE THE FIRST I VISITED.
WE ALL KNOW, IN THE BEGINNING, NOT THAT MANY!
THEN, YOU LOOK AT THOSE AROUND YOU WHO HAVE JUST UPLOADED. SEE AN INTERESTING THUMBNAIL, GO TO IT AND COMMENT OR NOT...
YOU GET TO AN IMAGE WHERE SOMEONE LEFT AN INTRIGUEING OR INTELLIGENT COMMENT, YOU GO THERE, SO YOU GET DRAWN IN DEEPER AND DEEPER. THAT'S HOW I DISCOVERED INTERESTING NEW PEOPLE, PORTFOLIOS.
NOW I HAVE A LOT OF VISITORS, THEY ARE A PRIORITY. I LOOK AT THE IMAGE, COMMENT AND CLICK IF I FEEL IT IS GOOD, IF IT IS NOT MY STYLE OR FIELD OF EXPERTISE, FOR EXAMPLE, I'M NOT FOND OF BUGS, NOT SO KEEN ON WILDLIFE, I CAN APPRECIATE THE QUALITY OF A PHOTO AND ADMIRE THE BEAUTY OF THE ANIMAL, SPORTSPHOTOGRAPHY IS ALSO LOWER ON MY LIST.
iF i HAVE NOTHING TO SAY, I'LL WAIT UNTILL THE NEXT DAY TO COMMENT.
I LOVE FINDING NEW PEOPLE, ENCOURAGING THEM AND SEEING THEIR PHOTOGRAPHY THRIVE AND BLOSSOM.
NOW IT HAS HAPPENED THAT FOR WEEKS I VISITED SOMEONE AND LEFT COMMENTS, NO THANX, NO NOTHING, WELL, THAT IN MY BOOK IS VERY IMPOLITE. SO I'M SURE IT IS THE MOST NATURAL THING IN THE WORLD, TO STOP VISITING, STILL WHEN I COME ACROSS ONE OF THE IMAGES IN THE GALLERY, I'LL GIVE IT FAIR FEEDBACK. BUT I'M NOT GOING TO GO AND LOOK FOR THAT PERSON.
IT IS ALREADY VERY TIME CONSUMING BUT MOST ENJOYABLE, TO VISIT THOSE AND THEIR WORK
YOU CAME TO KNOW AND RESPECT.
IF YOU SAID HELLO TO A NEIGHBOUR FOR WEEKS WITHOUT ANY RESPONSE, OR BEING COMPLETELY IGNORED, WOULD YOU CONTINUE?
WELL, NOT ME.

IT HAPPENS THAT I'M TOO BUSY, OR SIMPLY NOT THERE. I GET VISITED ANYWAY, I WAS GONE, NOT LONG AGO FOR 2 WEEKS, NOT A WORD FROM ME.
[PAUL UPLOADED MY SHOTS, WE CAN'T GO ABROAD TOGETHER BECAUSE OF OUR BORDER COLLIE. HE WAS IN QUARANTAINE 8 YEARS AGO FOR 6 MONTHS, WE SWORE HE'D NEVER BE PUT IN ANOTHER CAGE EVER.
WE KNOW ABOUT THE CHIP, BUT HE'S NOW 14, HAS HAD 4 STROKES, 2 OF WHICH A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO, HE WAS ON THE BRINK, BUT AGAINST ALL THE ODDS FOUGHT BACK, AND IS NOW BACK TO OUR OVERGROWN WONDERFUL 'PUPPY'AGAIN. BONUS TIME.]

MY IMAGES DID VERY WELL.

I HAVE NO LIST OF FAVE'S.
EPZ AND A LOT OF EZINERS HAVE HELPED ME THROUGH A DIFFICULT TIME WITHOUT REALISING IT. IT IS NEVER EASY BEING A STRANGER IN A NEW COUNTRY, FOR WHATEVER REASON.
I ENJOY THIS SITE TREMENDOUSLY, IT IS FUN.
I LOVE SHARING MY FREE PHOTOGRAPHY.
I'M PROUD THAT I'VE INSPIRED AND HELPED.
I'M THANKFUL TO EVERYBODY WHO TAKES THE TIME TO COMMENT AND LISTEN TO ANY CONSTRUCTIVE, KINDLY PUT FEEDBACK OR CRIT.

SO WHAT SUBSTANTIATES THAT WHOLE THEORY OF 'YOU CLICK BECAUSE I CLICK SO YOU'RE ALL A CLIQUE'? (*:*)
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2004 4:27PM
Whoa Magda, who's got your red mist going? Anyway, I agree with you that ePz is about as far from being a closed group as it is possible to get.

Keep those images (and brilliant descriptions) coming and sod anybody who doesn't like it.

Ian
Ade_Osman 18 4.5k 36 England
24 Aug 2004 4:30PM
Ouch!.....
csurry 19 9.2k 92
24 Aug 2004 4:36PM
I hope it wasn't my comment last night that prompted this Magda. When I said clique I also said I didn't mean it in a bad way.

Since getting to know some people on here I regularly swap 'insults' with some people on their images.

I know also that you have clicked on some of my images recently and I may not have returned the gesture. Good reason at the moment I am dialled up on my mobile, but felt compelled to respond.

I also freely admitted that I do not comment regularly enough on other peoples work, see also explanation above. Quite often I stay in hotels and dial-up is expensive.

So I for one am saying sorry!!!
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2004 4:40PM
Magda

I must admit to having received more comments from you than I give back. Perhaps this may help as others may feel as I do.

Your work is very good, and recognised by many as being very good. It can be hard to pass comment without apearing to be shallow, so sometimes I just brows your portfolio, click and leave because you have so many comments and the work stands so well on its own.

Is it something we have all done that has upset you or is there something in particular? I know I have been inspired by many of your works.

Regardless, your work is good so please keep posting it. I am certain your photo's are viewed more than you get clicks.
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
24 Aug 2004 4:43PM
Are you feeling all right, Magda? Heavy use of capitals is normally considered shouting so you must be very angry....
24 Aug 2004 4:43PM
CHERYL, NO NEED, THAT'S NOT WHAT SPARKED IT OFF, IT'S THE CONSTANT BATTERING ON THAT WORD 'CLIQUE', HAVE BEEN SPOTTING IT IN DIFFERENT THREADS, AND TOOK OFFENCE TO IT EACH TIME, NOT PERSONALLY BUT FOR EPHOTOZINE. (*:*)
andytvcams 19 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2004 4:45PM
Same here,i through my work spend far too many nights away from home and in hotels,and the Internet charges are very high.

Andy...
User_Removed 17 1.4k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2004 4:46PM
here here Magna, but as Ade says OUCH!!

Take care
Craig :o)

P/s and your photo's and description... keep them coming too
u08mcb 17 5.8k
24 Aug 2004 4:48PM
Caps are going to put off a lot of people.

I use clique in a much more clinical definition, that it is a completely connected sub-network within a network.

In graph theory cliques can be connected to other points, but all points in a clique are fully interconnected. So it's not really something to be ashamed of.

I regularly comment on people's work I know I consistently enjoy. If Tom, **** and Harry all comment on each other's work, they are a clique. But if only Tom comments on my work, they are still a clique but I am not a member because I do not comment on **** and Harry's.

A clique does not in these terms (and I believe the mathematical definition is the closest to what happens on epz) represent a closed circle, so people needn't get so exercised about the word being used as it is I suspect pefectly justified.
24 Aug 2004 4:50PM
"Clique" is a word sometimes used by people who wish they were part of the clique.... real or imaginary!!
24 Aug 2004 4:50PM
THANX FOR ASKING, AND YES, I WAS EXPECTING YOU CB. PAUL WARNED ME, I'M NOT ANGRY, IT IS JUST SO MUCH EASIER FOR ME TO TYPE IN THAT MODE!!!
YOU A PSYCHIATRIST OR PSCHYCO ANALYST, ALWAYS LOOKING FOR HIDDEN AGENDAS?
THERE'S OFTEN A SIMPLE EXPLANATION TO THINGS, (*:*)
24 Aug 2004 4:53PM
You do not normally type in caps Magda! 'Netiquette' is that caps = shouting.

Apart from "Psychology made Simple" on my bookshelf no connection with that profession! Lol!

Paul warned you about what??
BOB S 19 2.6k
24 Aug 2004 4:58PM
Magda - Please TAKE OFF your caps lock - there is no need to shout around here you are amongst friends.

I am not sure that I fully understand what you are saying here, maybe you should be more tolerant of the way other people use EPz. Not everybody wants to comment on other peoples pictures - that is their right. I for one do not comment as much as some on other peoples images and if I do I do not expect them to thank me each time - it is taken for granted that people are thankful for the comments made.

BOB
24 Aug 2004 4:59PM
WITH THE AMOUNT AND THE SPEED IMAGES ARE COMING IN, NOBODY IS ABLE TO ANSWER TO ALL THOSE THEY WANT. PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I'M NOT COMPLAINING AT ALL AND NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING FROM ANYBODY. EVERYBODY IS FREE. HOW I WISH I COULD CONDUCT THIS IN MY FIRST LANGUAGE. (*:*)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.