Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Claim 10% off PortraitPro with code TQ1434 now!

How do I increase an image size in photoshop Elements 11 please?

LouiseTopp 6 624 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2017 2:33PM
I am working on my photos in Elements 11 and I have a problem which is doing my head in to such an extent I might give up with photography.

I get my photos printed at Fugi labs and I'm fed up to the back teeth now of being told that I can only have them at 8 + 6 becuae the resolution is too low. I've asked someone to explain (as because of my Autismn, I have Aspbergers) I can't understand figures and numbers at all. But I'm still confused as the staff are very vague and I still can't undersatnd what they mean.

When I do a photo I upload it and check the Image tab, and image resize. I always make sure the resolution is on 300, but what numbers do I put in the Width and height? At the moment they are both on centimetres, should I have it on inches?

Also, what does the resample image box do, it's unticked at the moment I only have the constrain proportions box ticked at present.

Sorry to ask, I get so frastred and worried I've now messed up my photo's. I just want someone to sit down with me and sort my memory stick out and explain to me in plain English how to sort this out. Somehow I'm inadvertantly ruining my images without understanding what's happening.

I am trying to do a portfolio, but the images need to be bigger, but everytime i go to get them printed, I'm told this just insn't possible which winds me right up.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisV Plus
10 1.6k 26 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2017 4:02PM
Hi Louise - what camera are you using? Most modern cameras shoot at high enough resolution these days to very comfortably output much larger than you're stating here.

Make sure your camera is set to capture images at its highest resolution [It will be in the menus as large/fine, which is usually the default].

To make it as simple as possible then just hand over the original sized files to your printers. The dpi/ppi setting DOES NOT MATTER AT ALL. What's important is that your overall pixel dimensions are great enough for your desired print size. If that's not the case with full size images from your camera [which I doubt] resizing them up in software will only make them bigger by making them softer and fuzzier.

As long as the images you transfer to your printers are big enough, they should be able to sort out the printing - don't worry that they're too large, the printer's software will downsize them automatically if they know what they're doing.

The only down side to this is it will take a fair amount of space on your memory stick. If your memory stick has the same capacity available as your camera memory card, that won't be a problem.

Just remember, full size images as they come out of the camera and let the printer work out the rest - it's their job. Don't worry about the technicalities.
20 Mar 2017 4:15PM

Quote:what camera are you using?

Nikon D5300

Quote:don't worry that they're too large

Their too small after editing

Thats why most of my photos arn't big enough in my portfolio.
ChrisV Plus
10 1.6k 26 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2017 4:35PM
Don't resize your photos before editing Louise - it might speed up your workflow by making the file sizes smaller, but in the long terms you're throwing away a lot of quality in your images. Always edit at the original file sizes and once you're done, save as a jpeg at the original file size. The D5300 is a 24Mp camera and you'd comfortably be able to get an A3 [and larger] print out of it.

Remember you can't decrease the image size and then resize it up again - you've got rid of the extra detail and you can't bring it back by resizing.

Your camera's resolution is maximum 6,000x4,000 - which would give you a print size of 20 inches by 13.33 inches at 300ppi.

But 300ppi is overkill in any case for all but the most high-resolution published art books. Most commercial printers [of one-off prints] use a process much less demanding than that with the effective resolution being typically less than half, so you could actually print much much bigger.

Don't worry about any of this - just keep your file sizes [pixel dimensions] at their original sizes and you won't have resolution issues when it comes to printing.
rambler Plus
8 784 14 England
20 Mar 2017 4:35PM
Hi Louise. I only ever resize my shots to a certain print size and to the highest resolution. So generally I do not resize until I have completed all my editing and have decided what size print I need, these are generally stated in inches, If you re-sample after setting the size it will reset the resolution for you.

Ken
Tianshi_angie 2 1.4k England
20 Mar 2017 4:43PM
You need to put the image sizing on Pixels - not centimetres or inches and check in 'Image'>'Image Size' that the resolution is on 300. Resampling should be on and can be set to Automatic. The size that you want printed may be where you are having difficulty. Each camera's images come out at a specific size and if you want something which is larger than the basic size of your camera's images it will cause deterioration in the quality of the print which is why the print shop are saying that the resolution is too low. Your camera will take images large medium and small format. If you have the setting on the small format in the camera then you will have a print size of around 9 inches by 6 inches which is 2992 pixels x 2000. If you then crop this image in any way, it will be smaller. To print it at larger than that is not going to give you a good print. So make sure that you are shooting at the largest size possible with your camera which is 6000 x 4000 pixels.
You also really need to shoot Raw as this gives you all the data that the camera has captured. If you shoot Jpeg the camera processes the image and discards information that it decides is not necessary. The Jpeg file will then be far more difficult to enlarge and to get good quality.

When you have got an image which you want printed, with the resampling ticked in 'Image size' you can enlarge it a bit without too much destruction to the image.
20 Mar 2017 4:47PM
should I leave it on CM or inches?
20 Mar 2017 4:52PM
I always have mine on Pixels and only when I come to print do I change to centimetres (becase I print my own and the paper is in centimetres). I can then create the size I want which is why I have resamplng selected.
20 Mar 2017 5:03PM
I don't understand resampling
Chris_L 3 3.6k United Kingdom
20 Mar 2017 6:11PM
Not enough real pixels for the new size so the computer generates fake pixels to fill in the gaps. It guesses the colour of those by sampling the pixels that would be around the new fake pixels.

Avoid resampling at all costs.

I've seen people downsize and throw away real pixels the camera caught at the scene. Then upsize later because they are confused over ppi setting and somehow believe it needs to be 300 ppi and so computer inserts a load of fake pixels. Look up interpolation.

Changing size of your photos

20 Mar 2017 6:43PM
Chris L - When you resize without resampling the resolution of the image decreases. (If you are enlarging) For instance a 4 x 4 at 300 ppi resized with no resampling reduces the ppi to 221.333. Still enough pixels but the more it is enlarged the more the resolution decreases, and this is what Fuji are saying is not high enough
Chris_L 3 3.6k United Kingdom
20 Mar 2017 10:47PM

Quote:When you resize without resampling the resolution of the image decreases

I know that. The resolution is meaningless. I can type it in if I like, I can make it 300, 600, 72, 1 anything I like. You are right to get Louise to interpolate her image upwards slightly.

The danger is this though.

I know people who've loaded up perfectly good digital images and someone has told them the image needs to be 300 dpi before it's printed. They have the resample box ticked. This is what happens, you can follow along in Photoshop:

Image is loaded up, ppi is changed from 72 to 300, the computer invents millions of fake pixels. The resulting image is a far worse quality than before the resampling.

250184_1490049736.jpg

250184_1490049752.jpg

The 17 Megabytes of original high quality information captured by the camera is now lost in amongst 298 Megabytes of which 280 M are fake pixels.

The Horrible DPI Mistake

Most photographers can't get their head around this.

21 Mar 2017 8:34AM
But if you then reduce the number of pixels in the pixel section of the process to the original pixel dimension there will be no loss in clarity. i.e.your original pixel count was 3000 x2000 - reduce the new image to those dimensions and the resolution is increased and the clarity is increased.
21 Mar 2017 8:43AM
273254_1490085736.jpg

I have lablelled the two images and as far as I can see there is very little difference in them but one is 72 ppi and the other has been increased in pixels to 300 ppi.
21 Mar 2017 8:58AM
Which picture is which? Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.