Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

How do you deal with Junk (Postal) Mail

collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
13 May 2014 10:22AM
I am curious to see how others deal with the mass amount of junk postal mail (not email) which is delivered by the Post Office. Normally I would just put it straight into the paper recycling box and leave it at that but this mail seems to be increasing in leaps and bounds and I want another way to be rid of it.

I asked my local postie not to put it through the letter box but he explained that he has to do this as it is a contract between the junk mail sender and the PO. I am getting leaflets with my normal post advertising everything from double glazing to invalid scooters to weekend breaks . I registered with the Mail Preference Service but apparently this does not stop the junk mail which is delivered by the Post Office. I have just returned from a few days away and there were 18 leaflets on the mat along with my true post.

So! I have now decided for every junk leaflet put through my door by the Postman I collect all them up once a week and post it back into the red letterbox, in other words I return it back to the Post Office. It may sound petty but there is no other way to send a message to these wasteful intruding mailers, unless you know different!

How do you handle it?

Colin
big fella 18 485 England
13 May 2014 10:36AM
Send it back to the originator, without a stamp. They pay the postage and a premium (if they collect it!) it might not stop it, but at least you can feel like you have struck a blow....

Or mix up the return envelopes: i.e. send the double glazing to the satellite tv, the satellite tv to the car insurance, car insurance to the credit card people etc etc etc

:0)
MikeRC 16 3.6k United Kingdom
13 May 2014 10:37AM
I just put the plastic stuff in the refuse and the paper in the salvage....no problem.
....a bigger problem, I find, is the junk email, If I go on holiday for 2 weeks I can find 2/300 junk emails in my in box....that does annoy me Smile
.....Mike
adrian_w 14 3.8k 4 England
13 May 2014 10:43AM
Rather than put it back in the letterbox which has to be emptied by the poor old postie, send it back to the manager of the sorting office. He will be in a better position to deal with the inconvenience if enough people do that.
rhol2 10 369 1 United Kingdom
13 May 2014 10:48AM

Quote:I just put the plastic stuff in the refuse and the paper in the salvage....no problem.
....a bigger problem, I find, is the junk email, If I go on holiday for 2 weeks I can find 2/300 junk emails in my in box....that does annoy me Smile
.....Mike

I had an email account with Yahoo, and despite their claim to filter spam, I found a similar problem.

Since I switched to Outlook.com, I get virtually no junk mail. Might be worth a try.
triumphv8 14 475 United Kingdom
13 May 2014 10:57AM
Opt Out

There is an opt out option from royal mail , never got round to do it, and see how effective it is.

Probably as effective as the TPS !
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
13 May 2014 10:58AM

Quote:How do you handle it?

I put junk mail in the bin. But I don't get much either.
13 May 2014 10:59AM

Quote:There is an opt out option from royal mail , never got round to do it, and see how effective it is.

Have done that and its not made any difference. It means the Postie has to know who has opted out and who has not, so they wont do it, quote from my Postie.
Willpower 10 508 United Kingdom
13 May 2014 11:00AM
Recycle, just do as you are already doing. I know it doesn't solve the problem but I doubt that being petty and returning it to the sender would have any effect at all.

Putting it back into the postal system only creates a further burden on an already pressured system and will ultimately increase postal charges to everyone.
Evertonian 8 729 England
13 May 2014 11:05AM

Quote:Send it back to the originator, without a stamp. They pay the postage and a premium (if they collect it!) it might not stop it, but at least you can feel like you have struck a blow....

Or mix up the return envelopes: i.e. send the double glazing to the satellite tv, the satellite tv to the car insurance, car insurance to the credit card people etc etc etc

:0)

That is what I do. Some years ago I made a cheque in AutoCad from the "Bank of Brown's Britain" (when he was Chancellor) and when the letter as usual requested payment I would send one of these cheques back with the original bumf. Would you believe it, on a number of occasions the soft sods returned the cheque because they couldn't find the bank and asked me to use another method of payment.

I soon got fed up of that and now send all the stuff back without a stamp and jumbled up.

You do have to have a little bit of fun to cancel out the annoyance of receiving this crap.
13 May 2014 11:42AM
For those who want it.

opt-out.jpg
13 May 2014 11:45AM

Quote:Putting it back into the postal system only creates a further burden on an already pressured system and will ultimately increase postal charges to everyone.

...not if everyone did it, they would soon get the message and stop doing the delivery.
MartinBrown 11 265 England
13 May 2014 12:05PM
Use the free return envelopes and get a house brick and a box, send it back no stamp and the cost they charge the company is huge! it soons stops!
mrswoolybill Plus
14 3.0k 2461 United Kingdom
13 May 2014 2:56PM

Quote:Or mix up the return envelopes: i.e. send the double glazing to the satellite tv, the satellite tv to the car insurance, car insurance to the credit card people etc etc etc

Yes, I find that quite satisfying...

For a while after I turned sixty I had a run of letters offering me cut-price motor insurance. I had a carefully worded letter on my hard drive to use in such circumstances. It described my various attempts at learning to drive and the damage done to various vehicles involved, including the Land Rover that had to be towed up an embankment. I finished by asking if their insurance would cover legal fees as my husband would seek a divorce if I tried again.

It did stop the letters, remarkable efficiently.
JohnParminter 14 1.3k 14 England
13 May 2014 4:21PM

Quote:How do you handle it?

Accept it, put it straight into the bin and get on with life.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.