Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

How do you educate yourself to take better pictures?

ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
15 Oct 2017 10:55PM
Take photos as often as you can - on the way to work - lunch time - evenings - in the kitchen - maybe not on the loo. Get a buddy who goes out with you regularly.

You get better by doing - I look back to 2003/4/5 and see thousands of useless photos of stuff like forks, eggs, Xmas decorations.... you name it - useless, but they all added experience and knowledge
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
16 Oct 2017 3:21AM
Welcome back Ade.
16 Oct 2017 3:32AM
When I started taking an interest in Photography I was still working, 15 years ago, and my work involved travel. I enjoyed one place in particular, and spent lots of time there; Redondo Beach, Los Angeles. It was a great place to escape the cold weather here in western Canada for a few days at a time. We stayed at a hotel that was just across the street from the beach, which is a long wharf with little shops and eating places, pubs and the like, and lots of people, and more wildlife than you can imagine. I'd take my camera in the morning, go to this one little eating place, a little shack on the dock where they only served breakfast. My standard meal was a chili omelet with home fries, fresh biscuits and gravy, yum. After breakfast I'd spend hours walking the boardwalks and long wharves that ran along the beach, and shoot people, and lots of night herons and brown pelicans taking off and landing, flying overhead. I always filled my memory cards. I didn't think of it as a learning experience at the time, but now I realise I was fortunate to have had the opportunity.
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
16 Oct 2017 4:45AM
Ade May have hit the nail on the head here......go back through your EPZ portfolio and other photo files ....you will see swathes of improvement.....just keep working at it to get even better.

Donít punish yourself.....relaaaaax and enjoy it.

Hobbo
779HOB 9 1.2k United Kingdom
16 Oct 2017 7:18AM
Haven't read all the advise so sorry if I am repeating. But looking at photos you like and answering the question, what is it I like about the photo, or what don't I like? Look at your own photos and ask, what would I change about this photo?

Don't take criticism personally. I do some work for a guy who's been shooting cycling for years. He's old school in terms of having shot events like the Tour de France on film with manual focus. Over the past 5 years he's given me little tips to improve my photos I do for him.
SteveCharles 18 2.3k 18 England
18 Oct 2017 11:25AM
Tony Ray Jonesí notes to himself contain a lot of good advice:
7163_1508322196.jpg
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
18 Oct 2017 11:44AM
I have improved from years ago, sometimes because I've learned more and sometimes because I've got better equipment. IS has been a great help. But some of my most successful pics have been because I've entered a challenge or competition here on EPZ as they've enticed me out of my comfort zone into trying something different. Left to my own devices I am a bit lazy so I enjoy having to get out and do something I wouldn't normally bother with.
NeilSchofield Plus
14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2017 7:55AM
Pay more if not most attention to backgrounds, and occasionally go out and experiment by shooting a cheap small fast prime in manual mode

If you get stuck technically with your gear, google can be your friend
24 Nov 2017 2:32AM
I watch all the nature documentaries I can, I record them and watch them when I can concentrate, and without thinking about it, I find myself studying the photography. I think I've learned a lot about nature /wildlife photography just from this, and enjoyed it at the same time.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
24 Nov 2017 5:20AM

Quote:How do you educate yourself to take better pictures?

By learning to see, not just what is in front of you but also seeing yourself as well.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.