How do you find inspiration?

davidburleson 12 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2014 9:44AM
I'm curious how others find inspiration for taking photos. In other words, what ways do you go about finding inspiration? For me, I browse some daily photography and art blogs which feature rather original and unique stuff. And when I'm about to go out somewhere, I will have a quick check on the web for photos taken in that area to gain some ideas of locations, perspectives and styles. Needless to say, it's all inspiration to get those creative juices flowing!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stuart1963 7 272 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2014 9:59AM
I watch a lot of tuturial videos on you tube, Karl Taylor and Gavin Hoey being my favouritesSmile
ade_mcfade 15 15.2k 216 England
29 Apr 2014 10:02AM
I go outside with my camera
sparrowhawk Plus
11 277 2 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2014 10:24AM
just look around you and eventually you'll find something that you like or just experiment try different genres and you never knowe you might have a great shot or too come out of it but most of all just have fun
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2014 11:00AM
At the moment, my 'inspiration' is less about artistic inspiration and more about sheer bloody-mindedness to get things right: my current ones are that I will get the picture of that kingfisher emerging from the water, I will get the triple water-drop collision, I will create a good image out of the derelict railway carriage etc. I know from experience that in the days I am trying to get these shots I will , in 'down time' will see (and photograph) other things and maybe one of those will become my objective. So I guess my inspiration is more about technical rather than artistic.
wrinkles 10 351 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2014 11:32AM
I walk, and capture what takes my fancy.Wink
TanyaH Plus
16 1.3k 395 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2014 11:43AM
For me it could be a phrase, a cliche, something I've seen in a book or magazine that I want to try, an emotion, song lyrics that I then try and work up into something; the ups and downs of life and love ... all sorts really. Also, not just looking at stuff but really seeing it, and then thinking about how I can use that deeper view to create something. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't Smile
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2014 11:49AM
I just look around me as I go about my daily activities, after 70+ even years I am still enthralled by all the nature (and some of mankind's' activities) have to offer

I guess I'm still child-like in my desire to go "have you seen that?" Smile
hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
29 Apr 2014 11:53AM
You have said it all for me Brian......I am of the same vintage.......all of life is a wonder and inspiration..........learn to see a shot before you shoot it.

Learn what your camera is seeing through a particular lens.

FUJI
puertouk 8 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2014 12:16PM
You cannot look at a magazine or anything else for that matter for inspiration. Inspiration is inside you. One shot may look amazing to one person, but to someone else, it looks terrible. I have looked at images from so-called top professionals and I would not give them room on any of my walls.

I have seen some really good photographs on here and would put them on my walls, so where is inspiration? It's in the individuals eye. It's something that is inside you as a person, when you look at a landscape that takes your breath away or a building that is awe inspiring or a bird in flight.

Do other peoples images inspire you or is it the fact that when you get somewhere, that inspires you and not someone else's?

Inspiration is you and your camera.
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Apr 2014 12:24PM

Quote:You cannot look at a magazine or [i]anything else for that matter [/] for inspiration

Of course you can.

Quote:when you look at a landscape that takes your breath away or a building that is awe inspiring or a bird in flight.

And you agree.

People are inspired by all sorts of things, whether they are in a magazine, in the material world or even a piece of music or a memory. Artists have long been inspired by the work of other artists.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
29 Apr 2014 12:25PM
When I look through my books by Bruce Gilden or Elliot Erwitt, or look at photographs by Vivian Maier, I feel inspired. I feel as if I can get out there and do that. So I go out, but never get anywhere close. Inspiration, imagination, talent. Cruel taskmasters.
TanyaH Plus
16 1.3k 395 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2014 12:31PM

Quote:You cannot look at a magazine or anything else for that matter for inspiration. Inspiration is inside you.

Very true, Stephen - inspiration is inside the individual ... but more often than not, it's triggered by something on the outside. If it wasn't, then we'd all be Photoshop experts who create nothing but what our own imagination can think up and execute.

In fact this thread about inspiration has now inspired me to go and create something truly inspiring ... Wink
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
29 Apr 2014 1:17PM

Quote:People are inspired by all sorts of things, whether they are in a magazine, in the material world or even a piece of music or a memory. Artists have long been inspired by the work of other artists.

So true Keith - Magritte often sited as a inspirational figure in surrealism, and often drawn on for inspiration in photographic circles, was jailed for forging old masters. The line between inspiration and plagerism is wafer thin.

I used to look a lot at others work, these days I do very little looking at photos - I actually prefer looking at paintings. Currently I read a lot and use that for some of the more creative ideas, I also keep a notebook at the side of the bed (sad I know) where I right down ideas that occur in my dreams, one recent image was a combination of a dream and a song title.

Its not just photography, I went to see Jersey Boys last week & the Four Seasons record "Big girls Dont cry" was a line in a spagetti western.
JohnParminter 12 1.3k 14 England
29 Apr 2014 3:44PM

Quote:I'm curious how others find inspiration for taking photos.

I don't go looking for inspiration or try to find it. I either have it or I don't. I had it whilst I was taking photos of mountains for my book. I don't have it now as I have nothing I want to photograph.

When I had the inspiration, it stemmed from the subjects themselves. The inspiration to take pictures was from the passion and enthusiasm I had for the mountains that I wanted to capture.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.