How do you find inspiration?

SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
1 May 2014 11:45AM
Very interesting programme on David Bailey on R4 at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/on-air

or http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03phd4f if you miss it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
1 May 2014 12:48PM

Quote:Very interesting programme on David Bailey on R4 at the moment

Thanks for that. Bookmarked for listening later. A great truly professional phtotographer.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
1 May 2014 3:59PM
Have now watched above videos. Boy, can these guys talk - nonstop! Grin Can't say they inspired me in the slightest but then I prefer to capture a bit of candid street life than take posed shots. I seem to do best when I'm feeling insular and a bit down. Perhaps I concentrate more when I'm quiet. I'm certainly not inspired by all this parading around. Must be my age. Wink

Having watched a few Bailey videos and listened to him on various radio programmes I just love the natural rapport he has with his subjects. It's a gift in itself - and not a hint of self-aggrandisement in sight.
1 May 2014 5:03PM

Quote: I just love the natural rapport he has with his subjects. It's a gift in itself - and not a hint of self-aggrandisement in sight.

I often think that a portrait tells you as much about the photographer as it does about the sitter.

His portraits of the queen were superb, the first formally made pictures that I've seen that showed her as having a personality at all. You were seeing the happy reaction of one human being to another, not a monarch to a photographer.

Bailey came up through a solid apprenticeship and I think that being kicked around, making tea and a general dogsbody does make you think of photography as the trade it is rather than the high falutin' 'art form' notion that some colleges saddle people with.

That's probably why he lacks the bull***t factor and probably a big element in the telling portraits he makes.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
1 May 2014 7:38PM
I admire Testino for his rapport with the sitter/model.
1 May 2014 7:44PM

Quote:I admire Testino for his rapport with the sitter/model.

Yes, I agree. It's probably the biggest thing in succeeding in photography. Mind you, when I need electrical work done, I call one particular guy. Why? Because he does his job efficiently and well and he's very personable, so minimum disruption.

Same thing, I suppose.
ade_mcfade 15 15.2k 216 England
2 May 2014 1:20PM
one of the great killers of inspiration is a dodgy curry and hangover

we were in Waterloo on Weds night and had a few shandies - all very nice - then went to a curry house before heading home...

Next day I'd hardly got any sleep with the indigestion the bloody thing gave me, even a handful of gaviscon and codeine didn't really do the trick.

Then went to South Ken to get some shots around there... was drizzling and horrible... had my ruck sack on and thick coat, so was soaked with sweat, and was dragging my luggage behind me...

Ended up in the V&A for a while as they have left luggage!

Even the best places are crap with the squits, hangover and drizzle Wink
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
2 May 2014 4:52PM
one of the great killers of inspiration is a dodgy curry and hangover

Just as long as you never suddenly believe your a world class swimmer, I`ve seen to many of them over the years, not nice at all.

Long term projects can be good, I have two on the go, music festivals (30 years) and the Henley Regatta (33 years)

I only went to one festival last year and found it quite painful, I`m starting to show my age Smile
arhb 12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
3 May 2014 9:16AM
All this talk of food has reminded me, just recently I bought a food smoker - big enough to smoke 2 xmas turkeys if I wanted to Smile
The forum I use to glean information on cooking times, temperatures etc, really encourages the upload of images, from preparation of the food through to the finished product.

So by starting off a new hobby interest, I have been inspired to study food photography in greater depths.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
3 May 2014 5:49PM
Putting yourself down for GE for a week can help as well, its surprising what can be found in the galleries when you really look Smile

https://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/guest-editor-volunteers-106871

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.