Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

How do you organise your photographs ?

Artichoke 3 15 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2013 5:25PM
I've discovered 11 albums so far and envelope upon envelope containing sleeves of negatives. Plus a box which has easily three hundred photos in and a tin with same plus random loose ones in with other stuff and it's not really organised.

Do you organise for yourself firstly or for other people to look at ? Personally I think there's nothing worse than Uncle George on the beach x32 followed by a blurred cat disappearing so although I only put what I consider the best photos in an album I mix them up so someone browsing through gets a complete mix.

I find that the pages in self adhesive photograph albums, over time, go a funny colour and also that the photos stick so firmly that it I daren't remove them. Do you usee them or not ?

I really like this for my new black and white ones and they are BOGOF too but it's self adhesive Sad
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Products/WHSmith-Large-Self-Adhesive-Vintage-Cameras-Photo-Album-25-Black-Leaves-200-6x4-Photos+Photo-Albums--Frames+35697039

I need a gadget to look at my negatives to sort them out.. or can I keep them in the sleeves and use a Maglite ?? Any suggestions please ?

Some people may say scan em and keep them on your computer.. well I use my laptop so much I have this tendency to fry them.. I've already tried CDs and making a DVD and if systems change then basically yer scuppered. I tried storing some on Evernote www.evernote.com and some on free storage space on VirginMedia but when I wanted to download I lost some both times.

So I'm thinking I need some tips here please !

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pablophotographer 5 683 270
8 Jul 2013 6:40PM
Prinetd pics.... got a lot in envelopes some on albums.

On digital I would recommend an external hard drive and a file compressor.
My separation method follows this mentality :
origin type:
Film / digital
Colour / black and white
Life/still nature (contains landscape too).

I think it is hard to remember a picture based on dates, unless you can remember dates.
Most likely you would remember the theme and the colour...

Hope I helped a bit.
Gundog 3 629 Scotland
8 Jul 2013 7:59PM
Back in the olden days, I kept the negatives/trannies in sleeves in ring binders with a contact print for each sleeve and, from the mid-80s onward, an index on dBase.

Nowadays, when I use film, I scan the negatives immediately after processing and import the scans into my normal Lightroom workflow.
10 Jul 2013 8:04PM
Lightroom Workflow is a tad technical for me I think, I used to use bog standard PhotoShop. The contact sheet is a good idea I wish I had done that years ago !
JJGEE 11 6.8k 18 England
10 Jul 2013 10:14PM

Quote:Lightroom Workflow is a tad technical for me I think,

I wonder how you would cope with developing film / prints ?

Far more technical than Lightroom Wink
11 Jul 2013 1:12AM
Thanks for the sarcasm. Personally I would no more develop my own films than I would do my own dry cleaning.
Gundog 3 629 Scotland
11 Jul 2013 9:14AM

Quote:Thanks for the sarcasm. Personally I would no more develop my own films than I would do my own dry cleaning.

Good analogy. The chemicals are equally noxious!
keith selmes 13 7.2k 1 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2013 11:48AM
Most of my negs are filed in ring binders.
I wrote numbers on the sleeves for each roll and had a simple database with the number, date, key words, and film type.
A spreadsheet would do. Just helps keep track and find them when needed.
I found for myself, one binder per year was about right.
(But now one for the last 4 years I think)

I still have some prints in boxes, but when those negs are scanned, I expect to scrap most of the prints.
I don't expect I'll scan all negs.

I had the same problems with self adhesive albums, they are best avoided.

As suggested above, use an external usb drive for backup. I like always to have data in two places at least, more if it's important.
If the laptops really are dying at a ferocious rate, apart from avoiding that, store images on line as well as locally.
Or have more than one external drive. Or do everything. Paranoia is a good trait where data backups are concerned.
11 Jul 2013 8:43PM
I bought myself one of those fans that the laptop sits on which is working well so far but I think I should investigate an externa; hard drive, Anyone have any recommendations please ?
Paul Morgan 15 18.4k 6 England
12 Jul 2013 1:13AM
I don`t anymore, LR does it for me Smile
Consulo 12 840 10 Scotland
12 Jul 2013 12:10PM
My file organization is pretty terrible, tbh. I should really make an effort to clear things up.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.