Save 17% On All Regatta Jackets With Code: JACKETS17

How do you set up your computer?

geoffash26 17 2.5k United Kingdom
16 Nov 2010 5:32PM
I'm about to do a clean install of Windows 7 on new hard drive. I would like your thoughts on the following and any other tips on keeping things simple but safe.

1. Do you put the OS and or programs on separate drives if so why?

2. Do you keep all saved files folders on separate drive?

Just good to hear other views

Thanks in advance
Geoff
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
16 Nov 2010 6:26PM

Quote:1. Do you put the OS and or programs on separate drives if so why?

Yup. Only way to go for me...

I have an 80Gb OS/Applications drive - a 500Gb 'My Documents' drive (just direct the 'My Documents' folder to the whole drive) and a second, identical 500Gb drive which is a mirror of 'My Documents'. The 'mirroring' is done by a piece of software that monitor any changes in the original 'My Documents' drive and copies over/updates ant and ll documents affected.

The nice thing is... since I bought the machine - and hardrive sizes have increased - I can upgrade the 'My Documents' hardware so easily. I could go to 1Tb or 2Tb by a simple drive-swop and copy.

HTH's Geoff.
redsnappa 18 2.8k United Kingdom
16 Nov 2010 6:27PM
OS & applications on the first hard drive C:\
then all files, folders, pictures and other data on a second hard drive.
Also move the default my documents folder to the second hard drive.

If the operating system crashes & need reinstalling the it does not affect the data on the second drive. 99% of viruses & malware targets files on the operating system partition/drive so the data is much less susceptible to damage from viruses.
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
16 Nov 2010 7:21PM
Here is Big Bri's 1st Law of Windows:

Quote:Windows installations will always consume 110% of the space you allocate to the system drive

Trust me, been doing in for 20 years and it never fails.
Photogeek 16 605 6 Wales
16 Nov 2010 7:25PM
OS On One Drive (64GB SSD)
Page File On a Partition together with Apps On a Second (500GB Samsung Spinpoint F1)
Users On the 3rd (two 1TB Spinpoint F3's In RAID 1 configuration)

The reason teh Page file was moved onto it's own Partition on a Seperate Hard Drive is that it is not a good idea with SSD's to keep the page file on the SSD device. . . . Plus I did it automatically as its a hang over from every time I ever set up NTWink

I also use Acronis True Image to backup everything to a couple of USB Disks and a 2 TB NAS Drive

For Windows 7 I used These Instructions to move the Users Directory To a completely different drive. There is some questionabilty as to the wisdom of moving the Program Files directories as per those instructions as apparently it breaks windows updates (Now some may actually consider that to be a bonus Grin )
Photogeek 16 605 6 Wales
16 Nov 2010 7:30PM

Quote:Here is Big Bri's 1st Law of Windows:
Windows installations will always consume 110% of the space you allocate to the system drive

Trust me, been doing in for 20 years and it never fails.

Actually Bri there is a corollary to that law that states that Data will expand to fill all available disk space irrespective of what OS you run . . . We are running three SANS at work, two have 600+ TB capacity and the small one just 200TB . . . Just 5 years down the road we are close to capacity, and rather than persuade the (l)users to manage their data we are looking at buying a bigger SAN (The one we should have bought 5 years ago) . . .just so they can keep multiple copies of the same documents and wedding pictures and MP3 Downloads that they do now.
16 Nov 2010 7:49PM
Thanks so far
Seems my thoughts are confirmed
Cheers
MeanGreeny 15 3.7k England
16 Nov 2010 8:04PM
OS & Progs on a Solid State Crucial 128GB drive
+
All other working data / picture files on a conventional 300GB hard drive which I work from
+
A second 300GB hard drive which is incrementally backed up from the data drive on a manual basis after/during every photoshop session using Karen Kenworthys 'Replicator' freeware. Also acts as a cache for Photoshop.
+
A cheap 150GB eco/green drive which is a copy of the C drive installation - this is periodically refreshed following major Photoshop upgrades, major OS updates/Service Packs and prog installations. It goes into a sleep mode and shuts down most of the time. If I get a C drive failure I just change the BIOS boot order and I'm away again. [Saves hours of reinstallation and I also use Acronis True Image]
+
A networked NAS box with two 1.5TB Samsung hard drives which are mirrored from the data drive which are incrementally backed up daily
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
16 Nov 2010 8:14PM
Bet you wish you'd never asked Geoff. Wink

Roughly the same as above with a couple of external 1TB drives for photo backups.
16 Nov 2010 9:16PM

Quote:Bet you wish you'd never asked Geoff. Wink

Oh yes.......... But its what I wanted ....food for thought before I rebuild Smile
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2010 10:11PM
Just one big drive - easier to backup and means I only run out of space when its full.
16 Nov 2010 10:23PM

Quote:Just one big drive - easier to backup and means I only run out of space when its full.
Smile
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
16 Nov 2010 10:29PM

Quote:Just one big drive - easier to backup and means I only run out of space when its full.

( LOL !!!! )

(you're not serious are you Chris..???)

(Are you?...)

(Chris..??)

Wink
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
16 Nov 2010 10:46PM
When you all talk about separate hard drives is this external like La Cie / Western Digital ?

If so, then I have all my Images, Lightroom Catalogue, Videos, Music on them only because my computer hard drive was only 80GB to start with and currently circa 14GB.

Obviously my internal hard drive must have the OS, System files and all software on it !
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 12:08AM
And me...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.