Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

How do you set up your computer?

lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 8:51AM

Quote:(you're not serious are you Chris..???)

Yup - all i see is disadvantages in spliting drives.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 3:03PM
One drive for the OS + progs, one separate internal hard drive (1Tb) for images + one external hard drive (1.5Tb) as back-up store for all images. Image files catalogued by subject and date and managed via LR3 keywording. It means I can search all 40 thousand plus images in seconds and pull out the required image by date, subject, location etc. Works for me (but not necessarily for anyone else Wink )
geoffash26 17 2.5k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 8:40PM
Thanks for all the replies
Decided to go down the single drive route. busy loading at the moment
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
30 Nov 2010 10:18AM

Quote:Just one big drive - easier to backup and means I only run out of space when its full.

( LOL !!!! )

(you're not serious are you Chris..???)

(Are you?...)

(Chris..??)

Wink

Me too!

1TB main drive, backed up onto an external Iomega 1TM USB drive. Gave up using multi-partitions years ago.

Scheduled Back-ups by Syncback, thinking of changing to GFI Back-up at the moment and manual or back-up on shut down.
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
30 Nov 2010 12:43PM
One big partition for everything (OSX, apps, data) and a little partition for running Windows (emergency use only!). Oh, and two 750Gb drives for backup plus a bunch of 120Gb archival drives (small and cheap - so losing one isn't a total disaster).
Tonyd3 16 1.1k 18 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2010 2:09PM
Since i have only just completed this after my old computer crashed and lost 2 hard drives in the process i have gone with the following

C drive is a 128 gb INTEL SSD drive for windows 7 and Photoshop cs5
Another INTEL SSD 128gb as a scracth disk only

Nef files are now on two 500gb set up on raid 5
2 x 1 tb hard drives for older images (WD carver greens).
2 x 2 tb hard drives all new work. (WD carver blacks)
1 x 500gb for any other stuff not photoshop.

The above is a very capable performer never runs out of ram and just gets on with any task i have though at it so far, like a large 200 pxl brush and the smudge tool right across the screen just works.

LG 2 tb nas drive with Blue ray writer.

Gigabyte GAx58UD9 motherboard, Intel i7 950 processor, 12 gb ddr3 ram at 1066, 1 x blu ray writer and 1x DVD writer, HAF X case, 9800 gt graphics card, Windows 7 home.
wireless logitech keyboard and logitech performance MX darkfeild mouse.
now i need a new screen but have to wait a while as im spent out ..... but looking for a wacom intuos 4 wireless pad before christmas.

Anything you guys think i should add to this?
User_Removed 11 1.4k England
30 Nov 2010 3:06PM
All of my storage is in the cloud, 40Gb SSD for OS.
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
30 Nov 2010 3:41PM

Quote:All of my storage is in the cloud,

I reckon this is the way to go.

I use one drive with everything backed up onto another machine.
I've also got a copy of everything in the cloud.
Recently, I had to format and re-instal on this machine as something got in and wiped the disc for me. Fortunately, I managed to retrieve everything from the second machine just before that went bang and expired. (I think the drive's OK but I haven't been able to check it yet) but I came perilously close to having to rely on the cloud copy as a saviour.

Jester.
lobsterboy Plus
30 Nov 2010 4:07PM

Quote:All of my storage is in the cloud

Not much use when you can't get a connection though.
User_Removed 11 1.4k England
30 Nov 2010 4:12PM
It makes far more sense.

Unless you game, you have no real requirement for some of the hardware available.

I hear these people who say "OMG I RENDER HD VDIEO! BBQ BQQ" - and it just depresses me, if you did any serious video rendering you would upload it to a rendering server and then just have the results pushed back to you. No need for these idiotic 12GB RAM systems whatsoever, even worse if they are just editing 50MB jpegs... They don't even consider dedicated decoders.

I'd rather pay for my cloud storage blade than fork out on local drives since I hardly ever need to write/read faster than my cloud connection. I rely on it for backup and work completely as the solutions they have in place far surpass anything I can buy and install at home. ( Something like 8000% redundancy factor for data )
Simon_Palmer 14 759 11 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2010 4:19PM

Quote:Nef files are now on two 500gb set up on raid 5

methinks, you are not RAID5 with only 2 HDD's fella Wink

One drive, two drives for OS etc. etc. it's all a matter of personal preference tbh. I honestly couldn't recommend one over the other, or alternatively someone could say do it this way and I could easily give reasons why not to and vickyverky.

Just configure it as you see fit and are happy with I say.
30 Nov 2010 4:21PM

Quote:Not much use when you can't get a connection though.

True enough Chris but how often do people lose their connection these days?
I can see how not being able to access your files would be a nuisance in some circumstances but don't most of us have a reliable enough service these days to be able to retrieve anything fairly quickly?
lobsterboy Plus
30 Nov 2010 5:30PM

Quote:I can see how not being able to access your files would be a nuisance in some circumstances but don't most of us have a reliable enough service these days to be able to retrieve anything fairly quickly?

From what I can see - that is not what Sam is talking about:

Quote:I'd rather pay for my cloud storage blade than fork out on local drives since I hardly ever need to write/read faster than my cloud connection.

Not many people have a connection fast enough or reliable enough to make that a usable solution.
MeanGreeny 15 3.7k England
30 Nov 2010 5:32PM

Quote:True enough Chris but how often do people lose their connection these days?

Ooooh now you've done it. Fatal
30 Nov 2010 5:53PM

Quote:Ooooh now you've done it. Fatal

You'tre probably right but I haven't had a problem here for ages.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.