Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

how is this done? are they any tutorials on this site?

Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2010 12:39PM
I have just found some images in the gallery that I think are truely amazing I love the editing and just wondered if there where any tutorials on this technique as it is something I would love to be able to do with my images. (hope the posters of the images dont mind)

The clock fixer
son
Day Trippers

Thanks Debbie
Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2010 12:58PM
The last one is almost certainly using local contrast enhancement probably with the Lucis plug in. IMHO it is generally overdone and used poorly (as in that example). There are also some free plugings around on the web to create similar effects.

I suspect that a similar effect has been used in the second one (but more subtly) and the 'halo' added in photoshop.

The first one has probably had the colour saturation increased and some fairly selective sharpening to the man and the door. There may be some contrast enhancement going on here as well.
Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2010 1:09PM
If you really want your "socks blown off" take a look at the work of Andrez Dragan who many have tried to copy but no one seems to get near his level of skill nor really knows exactly what he is doing. There are numerous forum threads across the web of people trying to work his techniques out (which I suspect vary from image to image).
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 Mar 2010 1:12PM
As John has said, Basically these are just " Photoshop Skills " and perhaps some Lucis Art influence.

But even when you adopt the use of plugins, You (A) Need to figure out how best to apply them to a particular image, So parctice, Trail & Error, are invaluable....Smile

And (B) Unlike working an image in your own personal style via Photoshop ( or other ) Any Tom,**** or Harriet can use the same plugin, To mimic or copy your work....Sad

Here is a link to " Scott Kelbys pages, They may be os some help

Rather than copy the style of others, Try and develop your own unique style, For sure get some ideas from others, Maybe even borrow a technique or 3, But developing your own style, Will make yours stand out as yours, Not something inspired by others....Wink
Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2010 1:36PM
Thanks, I see what you mean about andrez dragan, truely amazing stuff there, and thanks for your suggestions, will have a look at the said pluggins. I don't want to mimic anyones work as such, still working on improving my techniques with photography before adding pluggins etc, but what I would love is a nice canvas above my mattel piece of my kids done in this style which is the main reason I was asking.

Thanks again
arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2010 2:13PM
Thanks John and Vince - 2 great links.
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
25 Mar 2010 2:24PM
Note however that Lucis isn't cheap - they used to do a sensibly priced version but no more - happily I bought it before they dropped the cheaper one Smile

However Topaz Adjust is worth a look - sensible price and very similar to Lucis. I've only ever used the 30 day trial and didn't end up buying it simply because I already had Lucis.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
25 Mar 2010 9:06PM
That Topaz 'Adjust' looks interesting Ali...

Just organising a Trail download.

Appreciate the pointer here!
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
25 Mar 2010 9:41PM
Glad to be of use Mike Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.