Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

How long was your wait... Nikon 500 f 5.6 e pf

Outlander 9 87
5 Apr 2019 9:06AM
Nikon 500 f5.6 e pf Any one managed to get one of these, if so how long was your wait?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd 11 3.9k United Kingdom
9 Apr 2019 9:33AM
Mine arrived via a small professional Nikon dealer in Harrogate on the day of release on 20th September.
The photosynthesis.co.nz indicates the 500 PF is being produced at a similar rate to the 300 PF.
7 May 2019 6:55PM
On another forum one owner reports a serial number just over ---6,000
The last serial number photosynthesis were aware of 3 weeks ago was below 5,500.

Nikon are still supplying this lens to retailers
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
8 May 2019 8:21AM
How often is " regular " ?

My local camera store are receiving " regular deliveries "
Railcam 12 741 2 Scotland
8 May 2019 8:42AM
Even Grays of Westminster have a waiting list for this lens so demand seems to be exceeding supply.
8 May 2019 4:55PM

Quote:Even Grays of Westminster have a waiting list for this lens so demand seems to be exceeding supply.

If you subscribe to Gray's Nikon Owner magazine you get at least a 3 year warranty on new Nikon products.
When there are no discounts in a waiting list situation the 3 year warranty comes for free.
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
8 May 2019 8:43PM

Quote:If you subscribe to Gray's Nikon Owner magazine you get at least a 3 year warranty on new Nikon products.

Hopefully I have misinterpreted this statement

Why should a warranty depend upon you taking out a magazine subscription ?
9 May 2019 7:57AM

Quote:
Quote:If you subscribe to Gray's Nikon Owner magazine you get at least a 3 year warranty on new Nikon products.

Hopefully I have misinterpreted this statement

Why should a warranty depend upon you taking out a magazine subscription ?

Presumably because Gray's purchase a 2 year over 1 year warranty deal to operate in addition to the 1 year Nikon warranty - and probably recover some of the extended warranty insurance cost this way.

Calumet before it was part of Wex offered extended warranties at very low prices.

Back to Gray's the magazine I consider to be good. In south and middle UK there are magazine member events. The recent 2 part "hands on how to do it" article on focus stacking is easily the best I have seen.

If you upgrade to gold membership you get a 4 over 1 year warranty. Warranty work is more likely in years 4 and 5 than years 2 and 3 - and gold membership is relatively expensive compared to ordinary membership.
19 May 2019 8:02AM
Serial number tracking on another forum indicate they are been released at a rate around 800 a month.
Ignoring this is high number for lens price point, if 20% come to Europe that is 160 a month. If 20% of the 160 come to UK that is 32 a month.
At least in USA priority seems to be going to Nikon registered pros and amateurs paying a deposit in advance.
If you are on a waiting list of 1 or 2 with a small professional retailer in the UK my speculation is you are likely to get one quicker than if you are on a waiting list of 20 or more with maybe Wex or Jessops.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.