Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

How many of you know about iStockphoto ?

Nandana 16 3 Australia
4 Apr 2005 2:13AM
Hay this is a great site to earn from your creative work. You got to have quality photos to earn from your pics ..! Any other sites you know , to earn from our creative works ? please share with us ..!
pj.morley 18 947 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2005 2:23AM
I may be wrong but it appears that contributors get 20 cents everytime someone downloads their image... and it has to be royalty free???

Doesn't sound so tempting to me.
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
4 Apr 2005 4:47AM

Quote:I may be wrong but it appears that contributors get 20 cents everytime someone downloads their image... and it has to be royalty free???

Doesn't sound so tempting to me.

That depends, doesn't it? Would you prefer to sell a handful of images per year at, say, 125 a piece or a few thousand at 20p each?

Personally, I like the thought that my images have sold 1200 (and counting) times and that there are a large number of people out there who have considered them to be worth downloading....
4 Apr 2005 4:50AM
Quality not quanity. Lots of people downloading one image for a small fee cheapens the image for me, just a personal viewpoint.
4 Apr 2005 5:01AM
Well, it's a valid point. There are a lot of contributors to that site (including a number of pros) who would disagree.
philwig 16 817 1
4 Apr 2005 5:21AM
Does anyone here contribute there and is it worth it?

Thinking about it, they could just mod the front end on this site to do the same thing, so instead of counting clicks, you could "measure" images by looking at how much money they actually make Wink
4 Apr 2005 5:46AM

Quote:Does anyone here contribute there and is it worth it?

Thought I'd already made that clear Wink

And, considering my pix have yet to sell elsewhere, yes it is worth it...
seabloke 17 844
4 Apr 2005 10:50AM
Have you actually received any payment from your 1200 20p's..? Just interested.
4 Apr 2005 1:00PM
I have already earnt more than double the amount required to claim payment. However, I shall wait until I have a little bit more in my account before requesting the money.

People who have claimed have reported few problems in receiving their cash.
4 Apr 2005 6:49PM
Julian, how many pics have you uploaded to istock photo and how long has it taken to sell 1200 copies..?
4 Apr 2005 6:59PM
I just did a quick search and there is also a site called shutterstock that seems to do a similar thing. Maybe this is the way forward in selling photos as stock.

I read an article recently claiming that licenced stock photos were becoming less popular and that the younger photographers viewed royalty free as nothing unusual... the article claimed that licenced stock was something that the older generation of photographers clung onto because it's what they know.. In other words the stock photography world is changing and people generally just don't like change...

If the number of sales is high then I'm interested.. As Julian pointed out.. Thousands of sales .20 is better than 1 sale at 100... Well I did say I may be wrong... Wink
Nandana 16 3 Australia
4 Apr 2005 10:06PM
Im also having few uploads over istockphots but is very hard to get accept your particular photo.. and they have lots of restrictions to they wont accept photos of any .. which they currently have full stock of the Ex Pets ,Flowers Ect.

For my uploads .. I still didnt have any download hits 
5 Apr 2005 12:56AM

Quote:Julian, how many pics have you uploaded to istock photo and how long has it taken to sell 1200 copies..?

To begin with, sales were slow and there was a flat-rate of 10 cents commission per download - I was lucky to get one download a week! These days, the site is more well-known amongst picture buyers, commission has improved and, last but not least, I've improved the quality of my product. Now I get between three and five sales a day on a small portfolio of 70 mostly travel-related images.

So, in terms of money earned, it took around 18 months to earn my first $100 and six months to earn the second.

If you can produce the images that really sell - business themes, ordinary objects photographed creatively, 'lifestyle' stuff, etc. - the sky's the limit. One particularly successful photgrapher has over 150,000 sales on the site!!

Nandana,
The restrictions are there for a reason. They want sales and quality sells. Also, they are trying to avoid overwhelming potential buyers with 10,000 images of flowers/pets/computer gear/etc. so these sorts of images are, quite rightly imo, discouraged.
seabloke 17 844
5 Apr 2005 10:47AM
Does anyone actually make a living out of this..?

I find it hard to see how anyone could at 20c (10p-ish...) a download, but things are nicely loaded in favour of the people running the shop, who get 4/5 of the take.

If you look at the most popular pictures over the last six months, for example, you find the current number one has 643 downloads. Err, 643 x 20c = approx 64..?

In at number 20, we have a pic which has scored 317 - at 20c a time..? Well done, there's 31 for 317 uses of your pic.

Meanwhile, at number 30, we have 270 downloads - 20c a time again..?

What's their minimum to withdraw funds again..? Can these people even withdraw the money their pics have made from hundreds of unspecified uses..?

People running the site, of course, have received payment in return or the pics being downloaded.
5 Apr 2005 12:59PM
"Does anyone actually make a living out of this..? "

Yes. A few actually do.

"I find it hard to see how anyone could at 20c (10p-ish...) a download, but things are nicely loaded in favour of the people running the shop, who get 4/5 of the take."

Firstly, the price you get is related to this size of the pic downloaded and varies from 20 to 60 cents.

Secondly, nobody is forcing you to accept these terms. Obviously the siteowners have expenses to cover which are the same whether they charge 20c or $500 a download. This means there is less, per download, to give back to the uploader. If you don't like it, don't use the service.

"If you look at the most popular pictures over the last six months, for example, you find the current number one has 643 downloads. Err, 643 x 20c = approx 64..?"

If you mean 'Fun Times', then you obviously didn't click on the image itself. This has 828 total downloads. It is not possible to see at which size these were downloaded so the total take for this image alone would be between $165 and $496.80. The owner of this image has a portfolio of nearly 3,000 images, from which she has colected 61,630 downloads. That's between $12,326 and $36,978 total take for the whole portfolio... Not bad, I'd say.

If you care to read her site bio, she says she has now made istock her full time job.

Really, do I need to continue...?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.