Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

How many of you know about iStockphoto ?

Chrissi 14 29
17 Feb 2008 8:05AM
Hi Ian,
Don't apologise. You opinion is very valid. I think it is an extremely sensible suggestion to upload the 'reasonable' shots and keep the best for private sale.
Stockczech 14 445 Czech Republic
17 Feb 2008 8:11AM

Quote:please publish a link where we can sell our creative for some good bucks !

There are many other sites available as well as iStockphoto - just Google 'microstock' and you will come up with plenty of suggestions.

Most offer similar terms, although some are a little more generous.

Whether you want to go down that route is entirely up to you. As joolsb has pointed out there are some people who make a full time living from it, and there is absolutely no doubt that despite the misgivings of traditional stock photographers, microstock is here to stay.

Only you can evaluate your own work. For some people 1000 downloads at 10p a time is more rewarding than one sale through a traditional library at 100 (well actually, 200 as most traditional libraries still take a 50% cut).

ETA: If you are looking for a UK-based site Fotolia have a good reputation.

Sheila
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
17 Feb 2008 11:01AM

Quote:just Google 'microstock' and you will come up with plenty of suggestions.

Like this Sheila..??

Wink
Stockczech 14 445 Czech Republic
17 Feb 2008 1:19PM
Well, OK Mike, 'a few' was a bit of an understatement, but 295,000 sounds a bit off-putting Wink

Sheila
ripleysalien 14 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2008 8:07AM
I have Joined istock but as yet aint had time toput anything on, I would rathe do as Jules says put on 70 images that would otherwise sit on the hard disk or on a cd doing nothing, I like the idea though id like istock to have a word with my boss who dosnt understand my need to be on the computer all day and not doing my job, is that normal, lol

Steve ( aint sold anything ever, but still trying )
GlennH 16 1.9k 1 France
21 Feb 2008 8:35AM
Jools hasn't said anything in this thread for about three years.

Honestly, forgetting all the blummin' arguments about what business models work - where is the achievement in selling a picture for $1?

What possible buzz can anyone get from an anonymous download, which might allow them to buy that piece of bubble gum they've been wanting for so long?

Really, it's not difficult getting published - which is not a veiled self-compliment: it's really true. There's little enough achievement in it anyway, and people only believe it to be difficult because they've never seriously tried.
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
21 Feb 2008 10:07AM

Quote:Jools hasn't said anything in this thread for about three years.

True. I'm now pulling back from microstock and trying to work out a stock strategy that might work better for me....
ripleysalien 14 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2008 10:17AM

Quote:people only believe it to be difficult because they've never seriously tried.

Have to say this is true, cant say I have made the greatest effort, ( sigh )

Steve
JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2010 2:42PM
So concensus seemes to be that its not exactly a lucrative deal for togs, but i've already just signed up.
I'd like to get over 100 photo's up over the rest of this year - has anyone really made anything more than pocket money with this site that pays occasional contributors 20% of their sales? And does not pay out till you earn a $100 in credit.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.