Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How Many Slots on a Cokin Holder?

mike0101 Plus
13 27 3 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2018 7:01PM
I'm thinking of buying a Cokin P Series BPW-400A Wide Angle Filter Holder. I have the standard Cokin P series one but it vignettes a bit on my wideangle lens. I'm trying to figure out if it will hold both a square filter AND a polarising filter.

The wisdom of the crowd seems to be that there is only one slot -0 except that same 'wisdom' says the standard one has 3 slots. No it has 4. Probably the owners haven't noticed the special thin polariser slot at the back.

So does anyone have a BPW-400A Wide Angle Filter Holder & if so does it have that thin slot for the Cokin polariser?

Thanks!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

13 Apr 2018 7:18PM
I have both. The standard Cokin holder has three full-size slots, the wide angle has one. Both have the same thin slot at the back.

I don't have a Cokin polariser so I can't say if it would fit, but if it fits the thin slot on the standard holder it will fit the same thin slot on the wide angle.
mike0101 Plus
13 27 3 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2018 8:17PM
Thanks for the information Euan; it is a very thin slot as it only has to fit the plastic frame of the polariser, not the polariser itself.
Regards,
-Michael
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.1k 58 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2018 11:07PM

Quote:.....Probably the owners haven't noticed the special thin polariser slot at the back....

Ah, that's what that'd for, thanks - i never knew.Blush
JJGEE 13 7.2k 18 England
14 Apr 2018 7:15AM

Quote:.Probably the owners haven't noticed the special thin polariser slot at the back

Interesting, I have always understood that the polariser should be at the front.
Perhaps that concept changed with digital cameras ?
arhb Plus
11 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2018 9:31AM
Whilst a square filter will fit into this back slot, it is a loose fit, making me think that the back slot is purely for round rotational filters, leaving just 2 front slots for square filters.
I use the P series and the Z-pro series and this has always been the same.
I've used the P series since the 1983, and the position for the polariser was the same then as it is now.
When the square filters are in place, the polariser can still be rotated as necessary.

As far as vignetting goes, I was recommended to get the Z-pro series for DSLR, as this limits vignetting the most, but even then IIRC, anything below 20mm FL still suffers.
mike0101 Plus
13 27 3 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2018 11:11AM
arhb - the back slot on my Cokin P holder is thinner than the other three & flush with the plastic back of holder. I can't get a normal filter into it. It's also wider than the other slots (9cm). It could be there's more than one version of the 'standard' Cokin holder? Certainly my current one is more rounded than the one I had back in the 80's.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.