Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

How much..?!!

moonty 17 2
24 Mar 2004 8:38AM
A question for all you pro's and consumers...

How much would you charge/expect to be charged for portrait pics in the following sizes:

1x 20x8
2x 8x10

My sister had some done recently and I was a little taken aback by the cost...

Dave
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2004 9:17AM
Depends where you go. My son's partner recently won a voucher for a portrait and the studio was charging 75 for a 7x5 framed. A full set of about a dozen would have cost 1200.

Ian
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
24 Mar 2004 9:19AM
How much is a piece of paper worth?
If Winston Churchill wrote on it - it could be worth millions.

It depends on the talent of the artist and his overheads.

BIPP members used to charge around 15 - 25 for a 10 x 8 when I was a member - but that was nearly ten years ago.
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2004 10:28AM
You will probably find that the charge includes a sitting fee which is fixed regardless of whether you have 1 or a 100 prints.

As regards 'how much' then as 'Mad-Dogs' says, it depends on the photographer, location, competition, etc etc etc

Barrie Smile
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
24 Mar 2004 11:02AM
Perhaps you could tell us how much it cost?

A friend of mine had some mediocre 8 x 10s done (unframed) by a minor celebrity photographer. Cost : 350.

I was livid when he (reluctantly!) told me the cost - I told him I could have done a better job for nothing!!

Proof of the pudding: in publicity material my friend uses some pics that I took, and not the ones taken professionally!!
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
24 Mar 2004 11:09AM
anything from 40 quid to 2000 quid depending on the photographer so It's hard to say ...
also, although she is only having 2 shots, it may have taken the photographer 8 hours to get them, so you have to factor in time as most people charge by the hour.
I suppose if she is happy with the pics at least thats something, many people pay a fortune and don't like the pics they get.
moonty 17 2
24 Mar 2004 2:56PM
OK... 1100 for one 8x20 and two 8x10's, which includes frames. The portrait session was for a couple of hours I think, and a seperate 'sitting fee' was charged.

I was a little surprised at the cost, and a little shocked to hear that she was told that if she didn't place her order on the day of the preview, the pics would be destroyed...
michaeldt 17 1.2k
24 Mar 2004 3:18PM
hmmmm, sounds a bit suspect. usually the sitting fee is paid whether you buy prints or not. if he says buy now or i'll destroy it, it sounds a bit fishy. kinda forcing you to buy, otherwise you'll have to find another photographer and pay another sitting fee.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
24 Mar 2004 3:22PM
Jeepers, and I thought 350 was bad! (mind you that was 5-6 years ago).

Hmmm... moral of the story (for all of us): get an estimate first?
collinf 18 1.2k
24 Mar 2004 3:54PM
350 isn't tooooooo bad, 1100??? Ouch!

That brings the session into Venture territory!
tonyb55 17 42
24 Mar 2004 7:13PM
She should have told him/her to destroy them and have new shots taken at an agreed price by another photographer.There was a company operating this sort of scam some years ago,I thought they had stopped.
TonyB
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
24 Mar 2004 7:17PM
Like put them where the sun don't shine?

jas
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
24 Mar 2004 11:40PM
Took the words right out of my mouth Tony - sounds like rip-off Venture. (allegedly and only my opinion.)
michaeldt 17 1.2k
25 Mar 2004 10:07AM
Dave (moonty) perhaps you'd care to give us the name and details of this photographer?
that way we can all be sure to not touch him with a barge pole.
cameraboy56 17 241
25 Mar 2004 10:25AM
I have been reading this thread with interest.

Pricing is the most dificult area of any business, to high and you put people off, and don't make a living. To low and people avoid you as they think you are to cheap, and again you don't make a living.

As Wedding Photographers we have battled long and hard with our pricing, we feel that the most important part of our service is to provide the customer with the Album that they really want (hence the name Spinning Your Dreams).

We do of course provide reprints and Parents Albums and also framed images, but do not go OTT with the pricing, that way the customer does not feel ripped off, and that it is affordable to most people, thus selling more and making enough money to have a reasonable standard of living. And at the end of the day everybody is happy.

Marty

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.