Regatta Offer: Save 15% With Code 15OFF

How much are you influenced...

Jools_jti 15 257 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2008 2:19PM
... by other photographers or photographs.

After flicking through a portfolio, I found an image that reminded me of another I had seen. Looking at them both they are very similar, I am not suggesting any plagiarism by anyone, I just wondering how much images we see, influence the types and specifics of the photographs we take.

I recently watched a sequence on tv where in it I spotted a single frame in a quick pan, that could be worked up to make an interesting shot. The shot fits in to a style of shot I have been contemplating for some time.

Did the frame stand out because I have been thinking of a similar shot, or is my thinking based on a series of influenced imagery that I have mentally collated?

I guess some influences are more subliminal and some are obvious and packaged.

How much is your photography influenced by other imagery or do you try to not be influenced?
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
5 Dec 2008 2:25PM
Honestly? Not at all. Not consciously anyway.
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
5 Dec 2008 2:30PM
I think on some level we are all influceneced by what we see of others work, whether you do this as a conscious attempt to copy or if it sinks into you subliminaly.
Thus there are always going to be come common themes running through photography just like in any creative works. The trick is to combine different aspects in new ways to get your own effect.

Ergo this is why you see beginners who tend to (note the tend) start off copycatting - its learning the different smaller steps that lead you up to the whole image - once you have copyed the whole image you can start to understand and perform the little steps to get that shot. Do this enough with a wide variety of influences and you will build up an understanding of more smaller steps - then you can start to control your work and use the smaller steps to get the effect you desire.
Jools_jti 15 257 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2008 2:50PM

Quote:Honestly? Not at all. Not consciously anyway.

I would have thought it would be hard not to be influenced, subliminally impossible, but consciously difficult. Unless you shoot purely reactively and never contemplate and image prior to holding the camera?

I don't necessarily mean another photographers work, but also images both still and moving, that we are presented through our daily lives.
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
5 Dec 2008 2:51PM
Just being a member of a site like EPZ must have some subliminal effect even if we are not conscious of it.
Ade_Osman 18 4.5k 36 England
5 Dec 2008 2:55PM
I try to do my own thing and not be influenced by anyone, but because of the type of photography I do, (mostly wildlife) I guess it could be said that my style is very similar to others. But I do try and keep things as original as I can.

Ade
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
5 Dec 2008 3:08PM
I agree on the wildlife front - its a more reactive form for photography than say studio work which is more creative in basis. Not saying that one cannot be creative with wildife, but when one has limited controls over lighting and setup and almost no control over the subject then one has to be reactive first and creative second I feel
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
5 Dec 2008 3:33PM
I would say my work is influenced quite heavily by other photographer's work. Not by the images themselves so much as the ideas behind them or by the approach they represent.

If you don't let yourself be influenced by others then how can you possibly encounter new ideas?
colin beeley Plus
18 1.2k 10 England
5 Dec 2008 3:46PM
i have tried to copy some peoples images on here the ones that get a lot of votes & you gest it i dont get no where as many. funny that !
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2008 4:21PM

Quote:I would say my work is influenced quite heavily by other photographer's work. Not by the images themselves so much as the ideas behind them or by the approach they represent.

If you don't let yourself be influenced by others then how can you possibly encounter new ideas?

I agree Jools, but sometimes its in a negative way - there are some popular styles - such as the heavily saturated, unaturally coloured landscapes etc (only in my view it sometimes seems) which I do my damndest not to imitate! Smile
ketch 13 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
5 Dec 2008 4:30PM
If you had never ever seen the colour orange, would it be possible to imagine it - I suspect at best it would be an enormously difficult thing to do. So if we rely on the external environment to feed our thoughts and imagination then the answer must be a resounding yes.

The next bit is the interesting bit, are we influenced consciously or is it some subliminal process or more likely a mixuture of both.

Personally I am very influenced by images that I see here (and elsewhere) and sometimes make a conscious effort to copy and reflect. Sometimes it may only be an idea or even the hint of an idea. But ultimately I am and can only produce from my own stock of knowledge and experience and that is almost entirely informed by what happens 'out there'.

Hope this makes sense

Robert
5 Dec 2008 4:58PM

Quote:sometimes its in a negative way - there are some popular styles - such as the heavily saturated, unaturally coloured landscapes etc (only in my view it sometimes seems) which I do my damndest not to imitate!

But that's still an influence! Smile
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2008 5:11PM
I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
For ever and for ever when I move.
5 Dec 2008 5:12PM
Ooo-er! Wink
stevie 17 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2008 5:17PM
I'm very influenced by all sorts of photographers/images and have been for 35 years or more. Seems very natural to me to take an interest in what other photographers are up to and it would be very odd if other people's work didn't get you thinking at least a bit!

If I produce the odd shot which is slightly original, or represents a slightly different approach to a subject I'm delighted because it doesn't happen that much.

Ah well, back to the robin on the garden spade shots........

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.