Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

How much to charge for Automotive Photography shots

1 Mar 2021 11:38AM
Hi,

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I'm wondering of anyone can offer some advice please. I'm thinking of taking some automotive photographs for a local used car dealership (when we are free from the lockdown) and I was wondering do you know what sort of prices I should be charging for my services.

I'm offering to take some for free so that I can build up my portfolio...and hopefully start to charge as I build up my portfolio with a view to starting a part-time business.

So I was wondering whether you should charge per photo taken or an hourly or half hourly rate, if so what should I be charging as a ball point figure.

Any advice or suggestions of what I should charge would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
1 Mar 2021 12:44PM
You say you are thinking of taking some photos for the automotive dealership.

Have they actually asked you to do so? I think this makes a difference!
1 Mar 2021 12:53PM
I asked them if they would allow me to take some automotive photos of their stock, they said that they would be happy to allow me to do this for them. Like I said I offered to do some for FREE just so that I can build up a portfolio of images.

Cheers
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
1 Mar 2021 1:00PM
They are "allowing" you to do it rather than "requesting" you to do it.

I have my doubts they would be prepared to pay you anything, to be honest. But you could try a charge to cover your costs if they decide they want prints rather than a digital image.

After all one of their staff could take some pics with a decent smartphone.
4 Mar 2021 1:39PM
From what it sounds like I agree with Carabosse, are allowing you more so than asking you. If that's the case bargaining is low.

What you could do is take some photos for free, and if they like what they see try upsell them the rest.
AlexE 4 187 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2021 3:38PM
My instinct would be to do the shoot, give them some of the images (as you promised Wink

You know better than we do what they expect and what their company size is. I probably shouldn't do this, but I let small businesses get stuff for a bit cheaper as some of them couldn't afford full rate.

One option would be to shoot bangin' shots, give them to them for free and have them ask you back Tongue

As Carbosse says, if they want prints of the images, don't pay for it yourself. Make sure that they foot the bill.

Make sure that everything is set out clearly in advance, and they know what they are getting. If you're only starting out, I would avoid making enemies!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.