How to blurr background in PS CS4

docfarhan 10 2 3 United Kingdom
26 May 2009 11:29AM
Hi, I am using photoshop CS4, I want some help in using blur tool.
I have taken a photo of a bird, now I want to blur the background so the bird stands out even more.
I do not know how to blurr the background without blurring the actual subject of focus.
What are the steps I need to follow !! Advice plz.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

edsephiroth 13 169 9 United Kingdom
26 May 2009 11:37AM
Use the lasso selection tool (or one of the tools that lets you create a selection) to draw around the bird, select "inverse" so that everything except the bird is selected, "feather" your selection very slightly (maybe 10pixels - depends on your image size though), and then blur it.
Getting the selection right is something that will take practice however. Hope that helps.
RogBrown 12 3.1k 10 England
26 May 2009 11:45AM
Or duplicate the layer, add a layer mask, blur the whole layer & paint back the bits you want to be sharp.
Photogene 13 176 Wales
26 May 2009 12:24PM
Don't have CS4 but this is how I do it in CS3. Duplicate the background layer, then go up to filters/blur/gaussian blur, and set the radius of the gaussian blur to around 8 or more depending on how much you want to blur the background. Now go back to the layers palette, and drag the opacity slider down to around 50-60%. Add a layer mask to the copied layer, grab the brush tool, give it a nice soft edge around 20% hardness, make sure your foreground colour is set to black, and set the brush opacity to 30% in photoshop's option bar. Now just gradually paint back in the detail of the bird using multiple brush strokes, firstly making sure the layer mask is selected. Painting with black on the layer mask will erase the blur you added, painting with white will bring it back should you make any mistakes.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.