Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

How to check focus point in Sony raw files?

russellsnr 16 251 England
17 Sep 2021 4:07PM
Hi, In Lightroom you can check where the camera actually focused when viewing your images (did you get it spot on?)
Unfortunately this cannot be done with Sony images in Lightroom.
I watched a YouTube video where it was shown how to do it in I believe Sony software but the video was on another subject and now I cannot remember how it was shown to be done or what video it was on, so anyone out there that has the answer please?
Many Thanks,
Russ.
Dave_Canon 15 2.0k United Kingdom
17 Sep 2021 4:40PM
Nor can you do this with Canon unless you use the Canon DPP software. I have not found this feature to be important as I check at the time of taking and it is easiest enough to view the image and see where the point of focus is. After all, if you later discover the camera focussed on the wrong point, it is too late. To be fair the Sony focussing is fast and it tracks so not too difficult to get right.

Dave
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
18 Sep 2021 8:35AM

Quote:Hi, In Lightroom you can check where the camera actually focused when viewing your images
Russ.

Clarification.

When you display the AF point used - what you see is the focus point used to attempt to get accurate focus.

There is no AF system yet that focuses accurately on everything.

The focus point used is not always the same as getting good focus - especially when the AF point is aimed at a subject where the AF system may not focus with accuracy.
18 Sep 2021 4:30PM
Hi, OK an example of what I was wanting to do/see.
On my sons Nikon when he reviews images on the LCD screen of the camera it also displays a small red square as to where he got focus on, in our cases a birds eye we hope, this option is not available with Sony so the only way to check if I captured the image spot on is through the computer, sometimes an image may look as if you got it right on the back of the camera then you get home only to find that you missed the eye and at my age that can happen often even with specs on. Thanks, Russ.
Dave_Canon 15 2.0k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2021 10:39AM
It still comes back to checking when you take it. A bird is a good example. I was out trying to capture a reasonable shot of a Buzzard flying over a cornfield with my Sony. While it appeared to place one or more of the focus points on him when I pressed the shutter, you cannot be certain. So looking on the screen and expanded, I check to see if I have sufficient focus and lack of movement. Some shots were not good enough so I deleted those at the time or later. If I have a correctly focussed exposure, I do not need to see what point the camera chose after the event. In the end with the Buzzard shot, I would have been happier if he had come closer. The shot I chose was OK but, even then, there was some movement but Topaz Sharpen AI was able to deal with that.

I shall be attending an outdoor shoot with some models this afternoon. Even though I expect to be able to easily focus on the model's eye with my Canon or Sony, I will keep checking as I go along to ensure I am getting the right results.

Dave
JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
19 Sep 2021 10:45AM
Does your Sony have Focus Peaking as it might be an aid at the taking stage ?
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2021 11:15AM

Quote:Hi, OK an example of what I was wanting to do/see.
On my sons Nikon when he reviews images on the LCD screen of the camera it also displays a small red square as to where he got focus on, in our cases a birds eye we hope.

Showing the AF point is a Nikon menu option.
You have the choice of show AF point on or off.
I presume there is a similar menu option available on Sony cameras.
Perhaps some-one familiar with Sony menu options can help.
JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
19 Sep 2021 12:28PM

Quote:Showing the AF point is a Nikon menu option.

You can see the AF focus points during capture but I have not seen on option to show focus points on the captured image when reviewing either in the viewfinder or on the screen.

However, when you zoom in it goes to the point of focus so that may be worth checking out ?
19 Sep 2021 1:02PM

Quote:
Quote:Showing the AF point is a Nikon menu option.

You can see the AF focus points during capture but I have not seen on option to show focus points on the captured image when reviewing either in the viewfinder or on the screen.

However, when you zoom in it goes to the point of focus so that may be worth checking out ?

TY for that.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.