Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

How to choose a new monopod?

13 Mar 2013 2:50PM
I lost my monopod somewhere, so I'm in the market for a new one. The old one was a kind of reasonably priced (40?) standard thing.

I noticed prices ranging from about 10 to about 200. Isn't a monopod just a stick? Why would I pay 200? What things should I be looking for when selecting my new monopod? Any reccomendations?

My budget is probably about 40 again - which seems a lot for a stick to me. Could stretch to much more than that, if someone could explain to me why it would be worth it!
JohnParminter 14 1.3k 14 England
13 Mar 2013 3:05PM

Quote: Isn't a monopod just a stick?

Indeed, it is a badly designed tripod. Get yourself a proper device for supporting your camera.

Smile

JP
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
13 Mar 2013 3:12PM

Quote:Indeed, it is a badly designed tripod.

Absolute rubbish! Grin You can take a monopod to places where tripods would not be allowed or would cause inconvenience to others or even yourself. It can also be used as a makeshift walking stick for those cross-country treks.

I have a monopod, however if I were buying one now I would go for the hybrid Manfrotto 682B, which can give a little extra support when you need it. Around 70.

2-manfrotto-682b.jpg
13 Mar 2013 3:18PM
lol. I loved my monopod. I understand the advantages of a tripod, but a monopod is just is damned quick in comparison. I got some really sharp images from my mono, up to shutter speeds of about 1/4 I find very little difference from a tripod. Plus they are so much lighter to carry around all day. Tripods get caught and stuck on things, like the insides of my panniers, and generally flail around on the outside of camera bag and get in the way. Then you have to unfold and adjust three sets of legs. I often find that by this time, my subjects have escaped.

I actually have a pretty decent tripod, anyway, which I take with me when I absolutely have to. I want another mono for the rest of the time.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 3:46PM
For me monopod choice is about how heavy it is, the collapsed length and the weight it will support. I prefer nowadays to have one that has a reasonable grip so you can use it as a walking pole as well (I have seen walking poles that have a flip cover to reveal a 3/8" thread to put a camera on though you proabably cannot support much camera weight on them, it may be worth a shot).

I would also recommend the Manfrotto tilt head/quick release: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-Monopod-Head-Quick-Release/dp/B000JLM50I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363189502&sr=8-1
13 Mar 2013 3:55PM
I'm only 26, so no need for a walking stick just yet Wink

Thanks for tips miks
JohnParminter 14 1.3k 14 England
13 Mar 2013 4:06PM

Quote:Absolute rubbish!

I know and why I can't recommend them. Grin
13 Mar 2013 4:51PM

Quote:I can't recommend them

Probably because you've never learned to use one properly! Grin
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Mar 2013 5:00PM
How is one trained to stand a stick up?
13 Mar 2013 5:30PM
By making yourself into a tripod with the monopod. It's all a question of being in harmony with it! Tongue Grin

This might help.

StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
13 Mar 2013 5:39PM
I've had a highly rated monopod sitting in the corner for years, used it twice, what a nuisance. However, with the IS system in our E-M5s they're hardly essential kit, are they? I wouldn't use one for a long exposure, so when would one be used?
sparrowhawk Plus
12 282 2 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 6:08PM
i have the very one shown in the photo it is a brilliant peice of kit especially for my needs as i cannot use a tripod because of my wheelchair `! i wouldd totally recomend it
13 Mar 2013 8:18PM

Quote:However, with the IS system in our E-M5s they're hardly essential kit, are they? I wouldn't use one for a long exposure, so when would one be used?

I use it mainly for night portraits without flash, shots at longer telephoto lengths in less than perfect light, and a fair few night city street shots. I also use it at shows, matches etc when holding a camera would get tiresome and tripods won't fit.

Unlike a tripod, I feel comfortable having it strapped to my camera bag all the time, so I end up using it quite a lot.
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
13 Mar 2013 9:13PM

Quote:It can also be used as a makeshift walking stick for those cross-country treks

Would be a whole lot better and cheaper getting a hiking poll and adding a thread.
kenskinn 14 75 England
14 Mar 2013 9:22AM
I have a Brasher walking pole with a cork top that unscrews to reveal a 1/4 standard screw.This telescopes down to a half metre and extends to just under two metres.Very handy for cricket shots at the Rose Bowl,sorry Ageos bowl!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.