Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

How to choose a new monopod?

BEVZED 14 1.1k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2013 10:04AM
I got sick of those darned clips, a lot of faffing about, especially with hands that suddenly decide they are not going to work. I bought a few (cheapish ones) before I found This one here. It is fantastic, fast, comfortable, I wouldn't be without it Smile Single handed, leave it on and tuck it under your arm (takes the weight off your neck) when walking, lean on it when waiting around, stuff it anywhere in your bag or car, good solid bit of kit!
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2013 10:09AM
We have the 334B which is a cheaper version of the neotec and I really like the trigger. The only problem is that there is no 'lock' on the trigger (it looks like the Neotec as one) so if you use it as a walking pole and squeeze it it will collapse. I intend to drill a small hole through the trigger and put a split pin though it as a lock.
17 Mar 2013 1:25AM
Thanks everyone. In the end I went for a Velbon Ultra Stick L50 with Manfrotto tilt head, taking in advice on here about clips being a pain - as it has a twist lock which I tried in store and found much faster and easier. I liked the idea of the hybrid, but it was a little over budget and also a little on the heavy side.

The Velbon is great and I really reccomend it for anyone looking for a budget monopod, it's really quite sturdy for the price/weight (a touch flimsy fully extended, perhaps), it's also very tall (goes above eye level for me, and I'm 185) and very compact (goes to about 35 cm).

Uploaded first picture I took with it tonight already. Looking forward to taking more.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.