Amazon Prime Day is here - save on cameras, lenses, and more!

How to clean up my Android phone?

KingBee Plus
15 548 2 Scotland
26 Oct 2018 9:52AM
When I got my Android phone a a year or so back it came with all the usual Google 'crapware', which, at the time, didn't bother much because I never used it.

Now, however, as that software is continually being updated, I am gradually running out of storage space, and it is becoming an issue.

All the internet advice tells you to "Force stop" or "Disable" the apps you don't need/want. However, when I try to do that a dialogue box tells me that if I proceed my phone may start to misbehave and not work correctly.

Is this just so much Google bluff to prevent you from removing its software or is there a foolproof way of getting around this?

Any/all advice most welcome. Thank you.
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.4k 9 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2018 10:24AM
I disable most of the bloatware on a new phone - in the past I've rooted and removed but not really necessary now with the disable option.

The apps remain in place, in original version, and can be re-enabled if required.

If an app required another it should simply notify you - ie if Google games in required to support something.

Currently Sony XA-1 and no problems encountered by the above, regardless of google warnings.

Essentially, unless in rooted, I don't think you can do any real harm.

KingBee Plus
15 548 2 Scotland
26 Oct 2018 11:30AM
Thanks Dave - very helpful.
redhed17 15 881 England
26 Oct 2018 5:01PM
Disable auto updates, and then only update the apps that you use. You can uninstall updates on the pre installed apps to get back to factory fresh and get some memory back on apps you never use if you are really short.

Be careful to check the permissions on any apps that you update or install. as the updates especially sometimes have a tendency to add things they want permission to access things which they don't really need access to. There are some apps I won't update because for some reason they suddenly need access to my contacts.

Dennis45 2 42 Canada
26 Oct 2018 7:53PM
sounds a bit like windows.
KingBee Plus
15 548 2 Scotland
26 Oct 2018 8:28PM
Thanks redhed17 - sounds like it might be a less risky way to go. I'll have a look at that too. Cheers.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.