PortraitPro 22 - 50% OFF + EXCLUSIVE 20% OFF with code: EZS22

How to disable colour management, help

ChrisBanks 12 6 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2014 10:42AM
I have a canon pro 100 printer, i want to use permajet profiles which i downloaded, i follow the insructions up to the point where it says disable color management but no matter where i look i cannot find this option, can someone please tell me where to look, i use photo elements 10.

thankyou

chris
Dave_Canon 16 2.1k United Kingdom
11 Apr 2014 11:26AM
If you wish to use a Permajet profiles it should be selected in Elements and you must ensure that Elements manages the colours not the printer. To turn off the printer managing colours you need to do this in the printer set up and, of course it is slightly different for each brand/model. I use LR and PS so normally print from LR but have in the past printed from PS. I just ran Elements to go through the process you need and found it is much less friendly than LR or even PS.

On the Print window for Elements (I have E10 so yours may be slightly different), you can set up the printer but you need to click on "Change Settings" and on the Change Settings window click advanced settings to get into your printer driver. You can then set paper type, resolution, paper size and turn off colour management. I found it rather worrying that the new settings were not all reflected in the Elements display. You then need to select "More Options" from the bottom of the Elements Print window. You then have choices about Colour management. On the Colour Management Window you can then set Elements to handle colours and choose the printer profile. You should be able to select your Permajet profiles from the list. You will also see a reminder to disable colour management in the printer and there is a button to take you back to the printer driver if you have not already set this.

Dave
11 Apr 2014 1:10PM
Thanks dave, but when i go to advanced settings to set paper type my permajet profile is not there just the default one's canon etc and i still see no option to turn of colour management, in the more options box the permajet profile is there and stays selected and of course it says remember to turn off colour management, i click on printer preferences but still cannot find the option to turn off colour management.
mikehit 13 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2014 1:43PM
I can't access PSE9 to find the actual menu, but have you installed the profile - not just copied the profile to the computer but also 'loaded' it though PSE? IIRC only then will it appear in your list of available profiles.
Railcam 15 951 2 Scotland
11 Apr 2014 1:43PM
I have a couple of Canon printers and I cannot find a dedicated way of switching off colour management either. I have got round this by going to the "Main" tab in the printer's Properties and then selecting "Manual" in the Colour/Intensity box then ensure that all the controls are set to "0".

It seems to work.

I hope this helps you.
Keith
justin c 18 5.2k 36 England
11 Apr 2014 2:59PM
In the Canon printer driver you select the Main tab, then select Color/Intensity, Set, Matching, and ensure None is selected.
It's then a good idea to save these settings for future use when you wish to print using identical paper/ profile/settings,etc.etc.
11 Apr 2014 3:46PM

Quote:Matching, and ensure None is selected.

Thanks. I missed that Tab in the Manual setting. You learn something every day.
Keith
11 Apr 2014 10:36PM
thank you all for you help, but iam not there yet, how do i load the profile onto PSE so it shows up on select paper, it shows up when i go to more options then colour management, its in my printer profile. but not in the paper type box.
11 Apr 2014 10:59PM
Printer profiles are kept in a special folder.

This article should help you to install it to the right place and thereafter it should appear with the other profiles in Photoshop, Lightroom etc.
http://www.pureprofiles.com/Using-A-Printer-Profile.aspx

The actual location depends on your Operating System, as explained here:
http://www.eduardoangel.com/2012/02/28/the-million-dollar-question-where-are-my-icc-profiles-stored/

Selecting the right profile and selecting the right paper are different functions. The profiles are not with the paper options in the printer properties.

I hope this makes it clearer.
Keith
12 Apr 2014 12:28AM
Thanks Railcam

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.