Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

how to enhance texture...

EmzLou1980 12 279 Scotland
3 Jun 2009 8:38PM
I've photoshop elements 5 and paintshop pro x1

elements 5 runs better on my pc so would prefere to work with this

I want to enhance the texture of bark on a tree, its a close up (i know i'm weird but i've my reasons)
the light of the shot is not bad got a green light to it because of light through trees i guess

what i want to do is enhance the bark textures...
how would i go about that, what could I try playing around with in elements
(and could you tell me what menus to find them in)

thanx folk Smile
Fishnet 16 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
3 Jun 2009 9:00PM
I have PS CS2 so I'm not sure if elements has it but I duplicate the background, select filter-other-high pass then change the layer to either overlay, soft light, hard light or vivid light depending on the effect you want. You'll have to fiddle with the settings etc but it seems to work quite well.

HTH.
NEWMANP 13 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
3 Jun 2009 9:57PM
try smart sharpen to about 90 and increase the rad more than the usual 0.3 and see if it has the effect you are looking for, usually works for me
Phil
StephenPoole 11 10 1 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2009 9:49AM
I use Fishnets method - the high pass filter and adjust the slider until the edges that you want defining strat to come through then apply it as an overlay. That should bring it out nicely Smile
John_Frid 15 514 57 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2009 5:26PM
The high-pass solution is likely to work well, but if not then you could try changing to LAB mode and applying smart sharpen (or plain USM) to the lightness channel then converting back to RGB.

Sometimes it needs a bit of trial and error to see what method works best for the particular image you have.
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
4 Jun 2009 6:06PM
Depending on the texture, I'm not sure sharpening is the way to go. Because of the way it works, overuse can do quite nasty things to textures. I would try enhancing contrast using Curves first. If that doesn't work, then hit the sharpening.
4 Jun 2009 10:17PM
thanx folk I've used all your advised and messed about a bit, fishnet is there any chance of a pm with details on how to do that on cs2, i've a copy but its scary lol so i dont use it at the mo :S
johnjrp 17 432 5 Australia
5 Jun 2009 2:03AM
I have cs3 and suggest you convert your image to lab colour (go to 'image' then 'mode' then click 'lab'). Then create a curves layer mask. Go to the 'lightness' panel and click it. You should see an 'a' and 'b' channel. Click 'a' then at the bottom of the diagnol line pull it right to the right hand corner of that box. Then pull the top to the left hand corner of the box. The output box should read '127' and the input box '62'. Click the 'lightness panel' again and this time click the 'b' channel. Repeat the same as for the 'a' channel. Click ok. Then use the the 'opacity' slider to tone down the effect. You can also use the history brush to return areas to original colour if necessary. Flatten the image. Remember to then reconvert the photo to 'RGB'. Trust this works for you. let me know if you have any queries. John
martin_hurton 12 200 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2009 10:42AM
A tip for next time...use a low shutter speed if possible as this will enhance the texture. I know it doesn't help now, but it might help in the future.
5 Jun 2009 10:57AM
thanx martin duely noted
And john I'll give it a go at some point soon thankyou
Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.