Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

How to fly with photographic kit

karryp 19 148 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2006 5:44PM
Has anyone experience of how best to travel by air out of UK with 2 (D)SLR bodies + 3 lenses + flashgun + film ? Concern is that 1: sensitive kit put in the hold could be damaged
2: film could be exposed to XRays and spoilt
Melanie_M 16 168 9 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2006 5:56PM
I'm toying with the same problem now.
New regulations have cut carry on to 7KG I belive and recent experience has shown me that airlines have become far more strict in weighting carry on luggage and rigid adherance to the dimensions of carr on luggage.
Why film if you are taking 2 DSLR bodies?
Film will generally be OK if you take it as carry on, unless it's real high speed stuff.
Non IS/VR lenses should generally be OK in hold luggage, but pack them in some sort of protection, ideally if you have their original packaging this should work fine.
edrhodes 16 548 13 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2006 6:03PM
Have just made a return trip to Barbados, taking most of my kit with me,I packed it in a Peli case and checked it in. They are virtually indestructible, and had no problems at all. That was in the height of the security alert, whether they are permitting you to carry your kit into the cabin yet you will have to check with the airline. As for film...what's that lol.
Phil-LS 18 632 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2006 7:06PM
The other year when i went to Kenya to keep my hand baggage down i wore a fisherman's waist coat and a pair of cargo style trousers.
I put all the small stuff in the pockets along with a couple of lens's and flash and Film. As the don't weigh the passenger ;o) as soon as i got through security i just put every thing back in my Lowpro Mini Trekker.
Dennis.Alden 19 71 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2006 9:17PM
I'm off to Kenya next saturday - and am having to drastically reduce what I was planning to take unless the restrictions are reduced in the next week. I am certainly not risking putting my gear in the hold - even in a Peli case. Putting stuff in you pockets is not an option at the moment - you are only allowed the one small bag - the following taken from the ba web site...

Other items normally carried in cabin baggage, such as books and essential items for the flight, as long as they fit into a bag no bigger than 45cm x 35cm x 16cm.

Nothing must be carried in pockets.

dennis
mcgoo 16 130 Scotland
2 Sep 2006 2:41AM
I am in Poland right now having travelled out here under the current restrictions. I too worried about what to do and found myself out at the shops searching for camera bags or cases to fit the requirements.

I then decided to measure my existing bag, a Lowepro Mini Trekker, and was surprised to find that if I took out my filters and bits & bobs that normally fill out the front pocket, The bag easily fits within the current stricter guidelines. I was able to carry a Canon D20, 50mm, 70-200 f4, 17-85mm is, Sigma 10-20, cards, ipod, ixus 500, ipaq pda, sennheiser noise cancelling headphones, book etc, in the camera bag as carry on luggage.

The less important odds and ends were check in with my luggage. Surprising what you can fit in the mini trekker and still be comfortably within the limits.

Of course this only helps if you already have a mini trekker, or are prepared to buy one!

Enjoy the trip.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.