Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

How to get a Landscape RC Award

sut68 17 2.0k 77 England
19 Jun 2008 12:27PM
Surely this would be better suited to the Techniques section? Wink
angej 16 479 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2008 12:29PM
thanks for that Ade, a few bits Im missing on my technique that i'll take from youSmile)

Ange
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
19 Jun 2008 12:43PM
......my real motive is to redress the balance in the RC gallery from small birds to over-saturated landscapes Wink

Apologies to anyone who uses these techniques and thinks I've let the cat out of the bag Smile
angej 16 479 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2008 12:48PM
Will it really work though Ade....?
pmorgan 14 217 13 England
19 Jun 2008 1:05PM
With a slight tweak here and there, sounds like my handbook, and I still sleep at night! Wink

Rgds
Paul
landandlight 15 46 Scotland
19 Jun 2008 1:26PM
How very true! That should cover about 90% of 'photographs' on this site.....YAWN!
mdpontin 17 6.0k Scotland
19 Jun 2008 1:34PM
Err...'photographs'? They're still photographs, whether or not you like them! Smile
Slaterm 14 496 1 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2008 1:42PM
no need to turn a perfectly light hearted thread into a serious debate about use of software to create images Wink
sut68 17 2.0k 77 England
19 Jun 2008 1:43PM
What about small birds an over-saturated landscapes ... is that a no-no Ade Wink
DaveU 15 1.4k 127 England
19 Jun 2008 1:48PM
The ideal EPZ friendly image would be a beautiful nude clutching a bunch of flowers in one hand, a small bird perched on her head, and a gorgeous saturated landscape behind her. I'm seriously tempted to put together a suitable composite and win next weeks POTW.

Problem is I don't know any beautiful girls who'd be willing to take all their clothes off for me Sad
Slaterm 14 496 1 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2008 1:54PM
I don't think they need to be beautiful Dave - just willing to expose breasts. I am not sure the face needs to be in shot.

I suggest a robin (EPz fav bird) or puffin (preferably Skomer) balanced on a breast with one of following scenes behind
1 - whitby
2 - Malham
3 - anywhere in Peak district but preferably Stanage or Roaches

If you really want to make sure - add some bluebells and a bit of woodland light.

bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes, turning once. POTW guaranteed. It will also clean your oven a treat Wink
19 Jun 2008 2:00PM

Quote:What about small birds an over-saturated landscapes

You'd probably not see a small bird if you used the Multiply layer technique Wink Gets very dark and muddy. Got that idea from a man called Dippy, I think. Maybe Henson, can't remember now.

Wonder if the sales of Lee/Cokin ND grads will be affected by this then Wink

Recipes....

Well I could do the "how to do architectural HDR" recipe, but I think by the time I get to point 102, people will be bored Wink I'll do a workshop instead I think!

Landscapes are relatively easy - if the light's what you want it to be. An uphill struggle of improvisation and eagle eyed-ness if the lights not what you're after.

One point I missed off was to level up any shots with water in...

Nice clouds in Leeds Today
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
19 Jun 2008 2:10PM

Quote:An uphill struggle of improvisation and eagle eyed-ness if the lights not what you're after.

You mean when you try and fake it later in PS? Wink
BubbaG2000 13 767 1
19 Jun 2008 2:34PM
I guess people like them, hence the RC awards! I have to admit, I love these shots but I cannot really understand why? I just never tire of them!
19 Jun 2008 4:11PM

Quote:You mean when you try and fake it later in PS?

....usually, yes Wink

but the choice of subject has a big impact in difficult light. A mirror-like expanse of water can look fantastic in poor light if you make it moody, whereas an "edge" like Buckstones or Stanedge would look flat and boring.

you've to use your experience and work out where would look good given the conditions

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.