Save 10% On Used Camera Equipment & Lenses From CameraWorld! Use ePHOTO at checkout.

How to get more votes

19 Jul 2009 2:24PM
I took a picture of a fox ( with mange ) in the wild stalking ducks, It had 6 votes, I was proud of the photo.
Had I gone to The British Wildlife Centre in Surrey, I would have had maybe 40 votes.
I took a picture of a captive Barn Owl, at The Hawk Conservancy Trust in Andover.It had 44 votes.
Tonight I will post a picture of a Barn Owl I took in the wild, If I'm lucky it will get 6 votes.
It took great skill and gave me satisfaction, I an no longer interested in votes, but photography.
Alan.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry 17 9.2k 92
19 Jul 2009 2:28PM
Well good for you Alan, but generally people only care about the image and not the preparation.
andytvcams 16 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 2:30PM
LOL. Welcome to Epz. Wink
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
19 Jul 2009 2:40PM

Quote:It had 6 votes

Perhaps see if you can get one without the mange and the votes might make it as far as ten Smile
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Jul 2009 2:47PM

Quote:I was proud of the photo

Thats all that matters then.....Wink

Do you take your images to please others, Or to please yourself...!!!

Chasing clicks is a mugs game............Sad
User_Removed 16 455 13 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 3:00PM
Try photos where you almost get washed away taking them and end up with sand in all sorts of places - and then take all the colour out of them. You'll get even fewer then! But I like them and so do the few people who comment - God bless 'em.

Perhaps we should have separate voting for effort and discomfort.

Forget votes - enjoy photography.
19 Jul 2009 3:12PM
Many thanks for your' comments, i feel better now
Alan.
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 3:18PM

Quote:Had I gone to The British Wildlife Centre in Surrey, I would have had maybe 40 votes.

...only if it were a better photo

Quote:Well good for you Alan, but generally people only care about the image and not the preparation

Quite right...that's how it should be.

....Mike
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 3:21PM

Quote:Many thanks for your' comments, i feel better now

...thats EPZ....if they can help somebody as they pass along then their living has not been in vain....LOL

....Mike
User_Removed 15 17.9k 8 Norway
19 Jul 2009 3:46PM
LOL!!!

Welcome to the real world of photography - when it comes to slaking your thirst for public acknowledgment.

Wink

This may help explain what I mean by that...

Grin
User_Removed 17 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 4:03PM
You could always apply to join the ePz 'Click'?
A very exclusive little club. (Which may even include a photographer or two!)

Or you could just not give a toss like a lot of us.
Do you like your photograph and does it fill it's purpose?

If so, job done.

THATS WHAT REALLY MATTERS!!! (IMHO)
engelsh2003 11 107 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 4:07PM
i think people care alot about what equipment you use aswell. For example sports photos taken with 'professional' equipment usually get more votes than less expensive kit, regardless of the quality of the two images.
User_Removed 16 455 13 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 4:23PM

Quote:sports photos taken with 'professional' equipment usually get more votes than less expensive kit, regardless of the quality of the two images.

I know the voting system is less than perfect (and this thread seems to agree on 'so what?') but I'd be surprised if this statement were true in general.

I'm no expert on sports' photography, but I'd guess it is an area where the best kit can make a difference. There are no doubt some sports' photographers with professional kit that have a following and are on some people's favourites list, but I doubt that many people check the kit before they click.
lawbert 12 1.8k 15 England
19 Jul 2009 4:31PM
To me if one person gives you a vote then any effort you have put in has been appreciated.
I personally take all my nature pictures of wild subjects...you may only get one or two a year of a given subject that may not be up to much but its the personal satisfaction of finding the subject and capturing opposed to paying an admission fee and telling the handler which post to tie the owl or the like to so as you get the best light and bokeh.
Its all about self satisfaction and then if people like it..Great..if they dont..they dont...its all about personal preferences and personal satisfaction...It is only a hobby site after all is said and done.
Henchard 14 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2009 4:32PM

Quote:I think people care alot about what equipment you use aswell. For example sports photos taken with 'professional' equipment usually get more votes than less expensive kit, regardless of the quality of the two images.

Not sure where you get your info from but checking the highest voted images in the sports category doesn't seem to show that is the case.

As anyone who has been here a while will tell you the vote system is a contentious issue. There is no point me going over old ground here. However, what I will say is that if anyone (beginner or seasoned pro) posts an absolutely cracking image taken on any camera or lens it will get a very high number of votes. Trouble is we often have a blinkered view of how good our own work really is.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.