Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

How to make a FinePix T500 correctly display photos taken in portrait orientation

MentorRon 2 102 Canada
6 Aug 2018 10:11PM
My T500 won't set parameters for displaying portrait oriented photos correctly in any photo viewing app. I have to manually rotate each one and re-save it.
Can't find any setting for this in the camera's menus.
7 Aug 2018 10:19AM
What software are you using?
7 Aug 2018 10:23AM
Try reading this and experiment with the software they suggest.

https://www.lifewire.com/why-is-my-picture-turned-sideways-1701398
joshwa Plus
10 927 1 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2018 11:55AM
The most likely cause is the lack of an orientation sensor in your camera - a number of budget cameras don't feature this. The link Tianshi_angie posted has some good information to help.
MentorRon 2 102 Canada
7 Aug 2018 5:05PM
I tried the Windows Photo program, pointing it to the folder where the camera's images were. It did NOT rotate the photos.
MentorRon 2 102 Canada
7 Aug 2018 5:21PM
I then tried XnViewMP program, but it doesn't rotate those images either. Now contacting Fuji Tech Support to see if they have any ideas.
7 Aug 2018 6:59PM
What the link says about using the XNView is that if your image is not rotated then it is the 'originall software' i.e. the software in your camera which is at fault and as Joshwa has said ' not all cameras include 'rotatation' in their settings. If nothing is finding an 'orientation' marker then I would assume that there isn't one. There may be an update for the firmware in the camera.
MentorRon 2 102 Canada
7 Aug 2018 11:52PM
There are no firmware updates since 2013 for the "F" series. When I display the entire list of EXIF info, what is the name of the orientation sensor's setting?
I looked at all of them and the only one that might be related shows: Orientation: Horizontal (normal). Every photo is identical to this, so I assume if the camera could orient the photo correctly that would say Orientation: Vertical (normal) ???
joshwa Plus
10 927 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2018 7:57AM
Looking at the instruction manual,

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/t/finepix_t500series_manual_01.pdf

There are specific instructions for manually rotating images (p71), which means it doesn't have an orientation sensor.
MentorRon 2 102 Canada
8 Aug 2018 6:14PM
Yes, I had originally seen this, but assumed it was for when the orientation sensor could not determine orientation. Most cameras have issues with that when pointed toward the sky or ground. I was just surprised to find out it had to be done ALL THE TIME ! Like when we take 5,000 photos on a vacation (yes we do!). The FinePix J110W we also have is a simpler camera, but it orients properly.
I have had several FujiFilm cameras since the Finepix 1300 and my old favourite the 2800. I have not had this issue before with ANY camera, and I've had many, including several cheap Kodaks and a General Electric (China). Can't figure out why they would not include a sensor on this model. It's such a common feature in cameras that it's not even mentioned in the specs.
My only other issue with the T500 is that it isn't as sharp as the J110W corner to corner, but that lack of sharpness isn't noticeable when viewing through ChromeCast to our 40" LED TV, which is how we view all our photos.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.