The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

How to send images home while travelling?

10 Jun 2008 1:05AM
I'm going to be travelling for a month and I only have a 2GB card. I'll have access to a computer though. Is there some way of transferring images home using some sort of FTP? Nikon Fotoshare appears to be able to do this but looks very limited. Does anyone have experience with it?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_P 13 487 4 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2008 7:00AM
Memory cards are cheap so getting more would be a good plan.

I think sending large image batches FTP would be at best problematic unless you have a very fast upstream connection, for that sort of data size I would think burn to CD/DVD and mailing them would be your best option.
johnjrp 16 432 5 Australia
10 Jun 2008 8:15AM
My son spent 6 months away and took hundreds of shots. Every so often he had them burnt onto a cd x 2 and sent one to us and one to his aunt as a back up. Got all of them. It was easy and not expensive. John
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2008 8:25AM
Buy an old used jobo giga one off ebay. They were only about 100 new so you should get one cheap enough. If you dont want it on your return sell it ... they start at around 40gb which may be enough storage for you.

Dan
CathyI 15 344 3 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2008 8:38AM
I would go with Dan on getting a Jobo! I've got one and it's small/light and reasonably priced! Only thing to bear in mind is that you'll have to remember your travel adaptor plug for the charger!
StuartAt 15 1.1k 8 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2008 12:27PM
Much as I like the idea of a Jobo, doesn't that kind of open you up to device failure? If you copy all the pics to the device and then it fails in some way then you lose all your pics. I've always shied away from these devices for that reason - perhaps I'm just paranoid! (I guess you could always get two)
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2008 12:33PM
Ive not had one fail but yes it can happen. If you had the budget of course you can use the jobo giga one as a backup to your jobo evo but that starts to get expensive Smile

I think its unlikeyit will fail unless of course you drop it in the sea Wink

Dan
Krakman 13 3.6k Scotland
10 Jun 2008 4:01PM
Rather than buying an expensive device like a Jobo, as you have access to a computer just take along a laptop-style external hard disc. You can get ones around 160GB reasonably cheap. If you take two you can use one as the original and the second as a backup.
Hugo 15 649 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2008 12:47AM
CD/DVD's
Post 1 or 2 keep a copy with you.
Cheap, reliable, small, plus CD/DVD RW drives are everywhere, and if you loose them / use them all, not too hard to get hold of more.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.