Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

HOW TO use RRS L Bracket

russellsnr 12 160 England
1 Jun 2011 6:58AM
Hi, I have never actually seen the RRS L bracket in the flesh (so to speak) but reading many articles it seems to be a very good piece of equipment, so I dived in and bought one (used) but what I cannot find online is how to actually attach it to the tri-pod. I have a Manfrotto 329 RC4 and a Manfrotto 222 both with differant QR plates do I need to purchase something else?, Not got the RRS yet so kinda pre M it's arrival.
Thanks
Russ

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BillyGoatGruff 9 191 199 England
1 Jun 2011 8:28AM
Hi Russ.
I think you will find that RRS and Manfrotto aren't compatible, and that RRS do not, so far, make anything that supports the Manfrotto mounting plate system - I emailed them to find this out!
Manfrotto have their own, highly specific mounting plates.

What you will will need to do is get a tripod head that is Arca-Swiss compatible. It's a more "universal" style of fixing.
A number of manufacturers make this style of clamp/mounting system: RRS, obviously, do these but can be very expensive; Kirk is another manufacturer - also expensive.
I only know this because it's a dilemma that I have found myself facing, being a Manfrotto tripod and head user.
When funds allow I also intend to get the RRS L-plate and will probably investigate RRS or the much cheaper option of a Markins ballhead, although my own preference is a three-axis head.
FYI
http://www.markinseurope.com/en/index.php

They are highly recommended, apparently.

Hope this helps

Bill
1 Jun 2011 9:00AM

Quote:Hi Russ.
I think you will find that RRS and Manfrotto aren't compatible, and that RRS do not, so far, make anything that supports the Manfrotto mounting plate system - I emailed them to find this out!
Manfrotto have their own, highly specific mounting plates.

What you will will need to do is get a tripod head that is Arca-Swiss compatible. It's a more "universal" style of fixing.
A number of manufacturers make this style of clamp/mounting system: RRS, obviously, do these but can be very expensive; Kirk is another manufacturer - also expensive.
I only know this because it's a dilemma that I have found myself facing, being a Manfrotto tripod and head user.
When funds allow I also intend to get the RRS L-plate and will probably investigate RRS or the much cheaper option of a Markins ballhead, although my own preference is a three-axis head.
FYI
http://www.markinseurope.com/en/index.php

They are highly recommended, apparently.

Hope this helps

Bill

Hi, Many thanks I checked the link for the Markin (when I got back off the floor) 300+ Euros and you say the others are expensiveSmile
Think Christmas is a long way offGrin
Wife = Flowers = happy wife = new ball headSmile
discreetphoton 12 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2011 9:10AM
There is a much cheaper way. Giottos do a range of arca compatible adaptors and heads. The adaptor is about 40. Even of you buy a new head to put it on, you're looking at about 120 all in.
BillyGoatGruff 9 191 199 England
1 Jun 2011 9:20AM

Quote:Wife = Flowers = happy wife = new ball headSmile

If only.........Wink
I'm lucky if I'm allowed to buy a new CF card! Smile
SlowSong Plus
8 6.5k 29 England
1 Jun 2011 11:22AM

Quote:Quote:Wife = Flowers = happy wife = new ball head
Your wife's set her sights to low IMHO. Grin
3 Jun 2011 4:44PM
Hi, Please could someone give an opinion as to this item 270756123054 on Ebay
I think it will do the job but not 100% sure.
Thanks
Russ

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.