Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How to Use the Beginners Photographers Forum

25 May 2007 10:40AM
Here is a bit of information about how the Beginner Photographers forum is mean't to be used.

The main purpose of this forum is to allow beginners to post their questions regarding photography and receive helpful replies and answers from other members.

If you are a beginner please be as descriptive as possible if you have a question. This will allow others to better understand your question and provide an answer better.

If you want to help out, please make sure you fully understand the question before answering. Remember, everyone (including yourself) has been a beginner photographer before. Be descriptive and helpful with your answers.

If we all follow these simple rules, this forum will become a great and friendly resource for beginner photographers who wish to further advance their ability.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

abhik130 New Member 3
4 Aug 2015 3:46PM
I want to know which one has better colour reproduction ...Nikon D3200 or canon1200D.?? As I m a beginner my first priority is image quality .. On some YouTube videos I noticed that Nikon D 3200 colour is a bit yellowish or dull compared to canon 1200D...I want to buy camera body between these two only.. So which one will be better choice so that in future I could spend on lens without worrying about camera body..?
mikehit Plus
6 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2015 4:01PM
They are essentially the same.
What you see on these reviews is a jpeg file that is created in the camera using a program set by the manufacturer and different manufacturers will have an idea of how pictures should look. You have four options if you want to use jpeg
let the jpeg be part of your buying decision
adapt the in-camera settings for a jpeg to suit your taste
create your own picture 'style' completely according to your taste (most DSLRs nowadays allow you to save your own styles)
adapt it in post-processing

Jpegs nowadays are perfectly good for a fair bit of post processing so you can adapt it if all you want to do is gentle tweaks. However, you may eventually want to have a lot more control so you could shoot raw+jpeg where you use the jpeg most of the time but the raw file is available for those times you need it.
A final option is to shoot raw only, import to a program and you can then (at the press of a button) create a jpeg style of all photos while you go and have acup of coffee.

As you will see from the above, the jpeg output is probably the least of your concerns when buying a camera so look more at other functions and how it feels in your hand.
abhik130 New Member 3
4 Aug 2015 4:24PM
Sir thanks a lot for ur information...
After going through all videos , posts, articles and discussion forum Nikon D3200 seems to be better option...only thing I m scared off is slight yellowish colour in images of Nikon.....
Can this be avoided through setting or shooting in jpeg or raw format ??
I don't want to regret after buying...
mikehit Plus
6 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2015 4:47PM

Quote:...only thing I m scared off is slight yellowish colour in images of Nikon.....
Can this be avoided through setting or shooting in jpeg or raw format ??

As I mentioned above you can (in some cameras) actually change the default in-camera processing to make the image a yellow or blue as you want. Or you can create your own profile from scratch and save that. You will then get a jpeg out of the camera that suits your taste.

The ultimate flexibility is from raw and this is not affected by the jpeg style so the raw output of Canon is the same as raw output of Nikon (within quite small differences, and those differences will be obliterated with any processing you choose to do).
If you choose to go with Nikon you can either use the Nikon software to process the image or you can use something like GIMP (free) or buy any one of several programs (Lightroom/photoshop, OnOne etc).

If you use the Nikon software then when you import a raw file it will show an image using the last jpeg setting you used in your camera (even if you shoot raw only) but the advantage of raw is that you can change the 'style' any time you want. This is not the case if you shoot jpeg only. So for example suppose you have a session shooting jpeg only B&W: if you accidentally leave it on B&W next time then you are stuck with a B&W jpeg. But if you shoot raw you can change that setting and get a full colour picture back.
If you use another program, then the program will often try to recreate the jpeg style and is successful to varying degrees.
abhik130 New Member 3
9 Aug 2015 7:14PM
Finally i have decided to buy NIKON... i am getting NIKON D3300 and NIKON D5200 at almost same price.. I have following doubts :-

1> NIKON D3300 does not have LOW PASS filter , does it have better picture quality than NIKON D5200..

2> NIKON D3300 has expeed 4 processor while NIKON D5200 has expeed 3 processor which I think will make NIKON D5200 slower. For daily life photography will it make any significant difference ??

3> NIKON D3300 is latest one compared to NIKON D5200.....I do not want to invest on camera body again and again.
StrayCat Plus
11 16.6k 2 Canada
9 Aug 2015 7:43PM
Both of those cameras are excellent. You won't notice the missing filter in your day to day photography, I use the Nikon D7100, and it doesn't have the filter either. Depending on how you set up your camera, you may not need to use quite as much sharpening in post processing of images from a camera without one, although I don't notice much difference between my camera, and the D7000 I used last winter.

Here is something that most people first getting into photography with Nikon DSLRs don't take into consideration, and regret it later; the D3xxx and D5xxx cameras are great cameras, however, they don't have a built-in focusing motor, which means that in order to have auto focus available, the lens must have its own motor. That means you can use any Nikon lens designated AFS, and have auto focus, but you won't get auto focus from the older lenses with a designation of AF, because they rely on the camera's motor. This is why I use D7xxx series cameras; they can use virtually all lenses with auto focus virtually unlimited, and the cameras have a database of older lenses built-in so you get most of the EXIF data. The difference in price for a D5200, and a D7000 is negligible, even new, although used ones are fine if you know what to look for. The D7100, which I have, can be had new on Amazon and ebay for about $700 US Dollars, and the D7000 used for between $400 and $550. The D7xxx series also have a partial alloy body with weather sealing.

One of my favourite sites for researching anything Nikon is kenrockwell,com.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.