Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How to view a picture taking in Raw mode?

tainodi 9 33
22 Mar 2007 12:35AM
Hi guys, please I will need your advice on this issue. I have just bought a Canon 400D camera, I took some pictures in Raw mode, but I am have difficult viewing the pictures in "My Pictures" after I transfer the pics. onto my computer. Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2007 12:39AM
If you want to see the thumbnails you need to download and install the RAW viewer plug in if it is Windows Xp. Not certain if it works on earlier versions of windows. If you want to edit the files you need to install a piece of RAW editor software. your camera should have come with some.
tainodi 9 33
22 Mar 2007 1:38AM
Thanx Strawman for your advice, yes my camera came one or two disc. Thanx once again, I really appreciate your help. On a different matter, your pics are very beautiful. I wish I could take pictures like yours.
22 Mar 2007 9:42AM
Several photo software systems include a RAW viewing facility - eg, paintshoppro from V9 just opens my Canon RAW shots like any jpg, etc.
tainodi 9 33
22 Mar 2007 5:18PM
Thank you MUYMALESTADO for your advice.
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
22 Mar 2007 8:07PM
Google Picasa is pretty good too - it's free and lets you do some basic editing.
tainodi 9 33
23 Mar 2007 10:00AM
Hi AHobbs, thank you for replying to my question. I will check it out, thanx.
psiman 11 557 Wales
23 Mar 2007 10:12AM

Quote:If you want to see the thumbnails you need to download and install the RAW viewer plug in if it is Windows Xp.

Unfortunately I don't believe that the RAW viewer plugin for Windows XP Explorer can view 400D files yet. But on one of the CD's with your 400D you should have received both ZoomBrowser (which allows you to view and arrange your RAW files) and Digital Photo Professional, DPP (which allows you to process and edit your CR2 files).

Simon
cambirder 11 7.2k England
23 Mar 2007 10:30AM
Another program to look at is FastStone Image Viewer .

It handles most RAW files. I use it for trawling through my latest images, its simple to use not memory intensive and is fast even when displaying thumbnails from 4 gigs with of 5D RAW files.

It has basic editing features and you can also link it PS SSP or whatever main programs you are using for editing / conversion.

PS it is also Vista compatible.
tainodi 9 33
24 Mar 2007 12:03AM
Thank you guys, you guys are the greatest. This is why new photographer enjoy this sites. Thanks a million for all of your replies.
davewaine Plus
8 119 3 England
30 Mar 2007 11:11PM
Just remember that, once you get your RAW files displayed in your chosen software, they are likely to look pretty ropey until you have worked on them. That is my experience at any rate. RAW has a habit of hiding its light under a bushel and I have committed the cardinal sin of initially rejecting shots that turned out to be perfectly good once tweaked.
alan a 11 9 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2007 8:25PM
Hello, this may be a bit late,but I hope it's of interest, try and get the back copy of Digital Photo for June 2006 it came with a free copy of Rawshooter essentials 2006, it's a full version of Raw editing software I'm finding it really usefull. But check that it supports your camera.
Try www.DPMAG.co.uk for ordering back copies.
Good luck,
Alan
skeletor 11 1.6k England
3 Apr 2007 8:39PM
You can still download RSE from here and here

Don't think the 400D is supported though.

Steve
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
3 Apr 2007 8:47PM
Another vote here for Faststone Viewer. It's great for browsing RAW files from almost any Manufacturer. It is quick and easy to sort the wheat from the chaff prior to conversion, although I've not tried it for actual conversion.

HI

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.