Don't Miss Out On Great WEX Offers - Find Out More

HP Scanjet G4050 Flatbed Scanner

SexyDan 13 14 1 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2010 1:24AM
I have a HP Photosmart C6180 PSC&Fax. and almost to the date of it being 3 years old, the scan function doesn't work, just scans everything as black.

Given that i like the HP brand i looked on the website for a scanner (i thought just a scanner as the rest of the functions work fine on my C6180)

After looking on the site i saw a G4050, and was amazed scanners can now scan slide's (although i gather this isn't rather new technology any more)
It sounds great as i have digitalized about 5k 35mm pictures of my grandma's collection on my C6180 scanner, with results that i'm happy with, and thought it might be time to start on my grans slide's.
I need the quality of the slides to be good enough to make a movie for my grans 80th in april.

After starting to look at the price on amazon of 192 i thought it seemed good value however i can't find many reviews for the product. Also amazon then goes on to recommend the epson v750 (looks attractive) and canoscan 8800f.

Now i don't know what to do, the last forum topic i could fine was 2008 to something similar. However only really mention the canon, epson, and a nikon, to which these scanners have been discussed since 2006, so are 4 years old now, so i guess the HP G4050 is a newcomer?

Ant advise would be great thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews 11 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2010 1:53AM
I suspect scanners don't update very often, so you may find a model is on the market for a few years. Here's one person's experiences of using the HP G4050 for scanning photos dating from 2007.

A dedicated 35mm slide scanner is probably best for getting top quality results, and that tends to mean the Nikon Coolscan machines and a fairly high price.

Something like the Epson V500 could be a good option for similar money to your HP.
Big Bri 18 16.6k United Kingdom
10 Feb 2010 8:33AM
Dan, the G4050 scanner has been around for a few years. I work for HP's Retail Photo Solutions group and we have been using the G4050 in our in-store retail photo kiosk systems for quite a while. The scanner is sturdy and produces great quality scans from prints, but I have never used one for slides, so I can't give you a personal opinion.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.