Hunger - magazine from Rankin!

cattyal Plus
14 9.0k 6 England
30 Nov 2011 9:51AM

Quote:Go to Sainsbury's - they've got Trolleys there. Smile

Oh - I can't remember when I last pushed a trolley - maybe I'll go crazy and use one instead of a basket Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
11 8.6k 30 England
30 Nov 2011 10:26AM

Quote:Go to Sainsbury's - they've got Trolleys there. Smile

Oh - I can't remember when I last pushed a trolley - maybe I'll go crazy and use one instead of a basket Smile

Well, if they're good enough for Pete........ Grin
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
30 Nov 2011 11:11AM

Quote:I can't remember when I last pushed a trolley

Perhaps you knew it as a "perambulator" ?
cattyal Plus
14 9.0k 6 England
30 Nov 2011 11:18AM

Quote:I can't remember when I last pushed a trolley
Perhaps you knew it as a "perambulator" ?

Never pushed one of those - I've been in one though - but then I was very very small and it was a perambulator made for two .....
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Nov 2011 11:58AM

Quote:May I ask who Rankin is?

The photographer who took the snap of my daughter that she uses as her Facebook Avatar.

How's that for oneupwomanship?

Don't know how she got the freebie (I assume it was) because I think he usually charges quite a lot.
alansnap 16 577 26 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2011 12:26PM

Quote:May I ask who Rankin is?

John,

Rankin is a portrait photographer (mainly) well known for his celeb shots from Princess Di on. He is prolific and shoots many other types of photos too before the others jump in. He's the modern day David Bailey. As well as making pots of money he does a lot of charity work too - see the Observer 20th November for photos of Kate Moss and others in aid of HIV research. I'm pretty sure he's done a book on HIV.

So a good guy.
Alan
30 Nov 2011 1:42PM
heard about this a few days ago, buggered if i can find a copy where i am
cattyal Plus
14 9.0k 6 England
30 Nov 2011 1:50PM
Just been into WH Smiths (decided to go into town rather than Sainsburys) and nothing. That's all we have for half decent magazine shops within walking distance of the office so I'll have to try further afield at the weekend.
cattyal Plus
14 9.0k 6 England
30 Nov 2011 3:54PM
Ha- got one - from the scaby Tesco Metro store up the road which never has anything I want - until now...... now I'll have to wait until I get home to have a look at it.
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
30 Nov 2011 3:56PM

Quote: now I'll have to wait until I get home to have a look at it.

Hope you like it now I've raved about it!
cattyal Plus
14 9.0k 6 England
30 Nov 2011 4:05PM

Quote:now I'll have to wait until I get home to have a look at it.
Hope you like it now I've raved about it!

I hope so too - otherwise I'll be collecting 4 from you in February - assuming you'll be at Focus Smile
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
30 Nov 2011 4:11PM
You could just bring it and hit me over the head with it Wink It's a useful weapon!
30 Nov 2011 4:26PM
found one to, result. Certainly a massive mag so as you say a real bargain at 4. It puts the photography mags to shame not just for their monthly cost of mags but also when they release their periodic bookazine or technique mags at a massive 15 and they are still not a quarter as big as this. Even if the Hunger double its price it would still be value for money
cattyal Plus
14 9.0k 6 England
30 Nov 2011 4:36PM

Quote:You could just bring it and hit me over the head with it Wink It's a useful weapon!

mmmmm interesting option - money or violence - I'll have to ponder that........
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
30 Nov 2011 4:49PM

Quote:It puts the photography mags to shame not just for their monthly cost of mags but also when they release their periodic bookazine or technique mags at a massive 15

Yes exactly...having worked on mags I know how much production costs can be...and the amount of waste caused by distribution (at least half don't make it into the hands of public) So that is usually part of the cost issue...and few mags would survive without ads. here there are no adverts. I'm unsure how he's managed to pull this one off. Maybe it's just vanity publishing? If so it won't last long, but whatever - grab it while you can it's a real bargain. Don't expect techniques though it's pure sexy imagery and interviews. Not your typical magazine. And without all the perfume, clothes and watch ads it puts many fashion mags to shame too. I really hope it succeeds.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.