Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

I can not believe it !!

martyn05 13 363 England
19 Dec 2009 10:08PM
Someone on Ebay attempted to scam me by hijacking another members account. See Here

I can not believe it, it has happened again. After Ebay sorted it out last Saturday, I relisted my item and added a battery grip. Well the sale finished today, I was happy with the amount and awaiting payment. Just got an email off Ebay saying my camera was bought without the account owners permission!! Ebay are sorting out my listing fees etc so no problem there.

I did look at the bidders details before the end of the sale and noticed they had bidded on 20+ cameras recently, also second highest bidder had also bidded on 20+ cameras recently.

My advice is to be very careful if you are using Ebay to sell your cameras etc, thieves are out there, check your accounts regulary to see if you have bought something that you were not aware of.
rowarrior 13 4.4k 9 Scotland
19 Dec 2009 10:21PM
Maybe you should use the classifieds here...
BEVZED 14 1.1k United Kingdom
19 Dec 2009 10:24PM

Quote:Maybe you should use the classifieds here...

even they can be a bit iffy sounding ...
martyn05 13 363 England
19 Dec 2009 10:27PM

I have had it there for a week now, not a single bit of interest.
rowarrior 13 4.4k 9 Scotland
19 Dec 2009 10:38PM
Ahh, well it was an idea anyway!
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Dec 2009 10:45PM

Quote:I have had it there for a week now

That long....Wink Are you in a hurry to sell or something....?

Might take longer in the classifieds......Smile

Scams on Ebay are becoming common place, Until they sort it out, I would not use them.......
martyn05 13 363 England
19 Dec 2009 10:54PM

Quote:Ahh, well it was an idea anyway!

Sorry for not sounding more appreciative I am just disappointed at the thought of so many people out there trying to rip other people off.

Quote:Quote:I have had it there for a week nowThat long.... Are you in a hurry to sell or something....?

Recently bought 2 x 5D Mark 2's, wanted some funds back to aid in my next purchase.
gaelldew 13 377 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2009 11:57AM

All the mugs are on E-bay, not here, no offence to people here who use E-bay obviously.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
20 Dec 2009 4:40PM
Sorry. I don't understand.

You place your camera on Ebay. Someone places the highest bid for it. They pay you. Once you have the money you send them the camera. Where is there scope for a scam in there?

When I buy photo equipment on Ebay I only pay by Paypal (wouldn't bid if Paypal was not accepted.)

When I sell any photo equipment on Ebay I only accept payment by Paypal.

If someone fails to pay me I don't send the item. If an item I have paid for fails to arrive I immediately lodge a Paypal dispute.

But, in over 1200 Ebay sales and purchases I have only had about 7 or 8 where there was any problem. Some of those were a bit of a nuisance, but I never lost any money.

Even a couple of cameras I bought on Ebay from Hong Kong with a "If you have to pay import duty or VAT, we will refund it immediately" guarantee worked well. In both cases I did have to pay the postman some tax but, in each case, the money was refunded in full to my Paypal account within 3 hours of sending an e-mail to the seller. (That seller was called DigitalRev. I am planning to visit their retail store when I am in Hong King next month.)
cambirder 17 7.2k England
20 Dec 2009 4:52PM

Quote:When I sell any photo equipment on Ebay I only accept payment by Paypal.

Do you like giving 3.4% of your money away then? I prefer anything but PP.

PP does not offer sellers any advantages, I prefer bank transfer, but only a few buyers take up my free postage option if paying by BT.
mark_delta 13 1.3k
20 Dec 2009 5:00PM
the classifieds here could be brilliant if they allowed free listing with registered members and charged a small commission on sales.
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
20 Dec 2009 5:04PM
well, for E2 members, you will have enough free credit for listing anyway!
colin beeley Plus
18 1.2k 10 England
20 Dec 2009 5:05PM
you could try here
andytvcams 18 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2009 5:10PM

Quote:The classifieds here could be brilliant if they allowed free listing with registered members and charged a small commission on sales.

Good idea.
Warriorpoet 12 213 3 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2009 5:16PM

Quote: Well, for E2 members, you will have enough free credit for listing anyway! ∑

You could join E2 for a year for less than you would spend on ebay listing and final value fees on any reasonably expensive item. Our ebay fees for the business will be well over 10k this year.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.