90% Off inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate Software Bundle

I can not believe it !!

Stuarty 16 122 England
20 Dec 2009 7:06PM
I too had my account hijacked on EBay - had threatening emails saying I had bought this, that and the other. Asked EBay to close my account - they 'couldn't', so I had to open it up, and close it myself. Weird. Never heard any more about the so-called purchases I had supposedly made. Have never used EBay again. I was quite a new user: had bought one item and paid for it, also bid for 2 or 3 items and failed to buy. Never tried to sell on EBay.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
20 Dec 2009 7:57PM

Quote:
Do you like giving 3.4% of your money away then? I prefer anything but PP.

PP does not offer sellers any advantages, I prefer bank transfer, but only a few buyers take up my free postage option if paying by BT.

I have tried a few methods but independent research clearly shows that bidders on Ebay place higher bids when Paypal is an option. There are also a huge proportion of users who, like myself, simply will not bid at all if Paypal is not an option.

Whether, over the piece, I benefit as much as they say, I am not sure. I suspect it is swings and roundabouts.
filmforever 13 775
20 Dec 2009 8:26PM
I've found the safest/most convenient option is to use a reputable camera dealer who sells on commission. OK so you are minus 17-20% for their cut, and it may take a while to sell, but for that, your gear is being advertised and does sell eventually, and you get your money and have none of the hassle.
colin beeley Plus
18 1.2k 10 England
20 Dec 2009 9:15PM
WHAT !! i think the name says it all .
cambirder 17 7.2k England
20 Dec 2009 9:31PM

Quote:I have tried a few methods but independent research clearly shows that bidders on Ebay place higher bids when Paypal is an option. There are also a huge proportion of users who, like myself, simply will not bid at all if Paypal is not an option

You have obviously not been on Ebay for a while, sellers have to offer PP. The position I have always taken is to offer as many payment options as possible, which is the best way of getting the highest price as not every buyer has a PP account, especially in Germany where bank transfer is the preferred payment method. I agree most buyers will use PP, but I have recently sold a lens for £300+ and the buyer was perfectly happy to pay by BT.

The other issue of offering other options is where the buyer collects. Ebay say you should accept PP on those occasions to, but only a fool would do so as you lose all seller protection because you can't provide postal tracking, so the buyer can end up with your item and his money back. If anyone wants to collect from me they pay cash, and most buyers are happy to do that.
martyn05 13 363 England
20 Dec 2009 10:16PM

Quote:Sorry. I don't understand.

You place your camera on Ebay. Someone places the highest bid for it. They pay you. Once you have the money you send them the camera. Where is there scope for a scam in there?

They hijack someones account, out bid everyone else and win the auction, send you emails (look like genuine Ebay and PayPal ones) saying Ebay will only transfer money to your PayPal account once you supply a tracking number to verify that you have posted the item. The PayPal ones say you have been paid but the money is held pending confirmation of a tracking number. You post the item to an address they have given you. Then you do not get paid, they get your item.

I wonder how many people have fell for it ??

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.