Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

I'm a photo selling virgin, help! :)

mattberry 15 259 14 Greece
3 Jul 2006 5:42PM
Hi all,

I just recieved an email from someone wanting to purchase one of my images for a brochure (5000 copies). They intend to use it on the cover but as I understand it, not the only image on the cover. The actual print size will be 3" x 3" (pretty small).

They want to know my conditions now, any ideas /tips on how I should deal with the sale and how much to ask for?

Would you suggest to them an outright sale of the image with exclusive rights or sell with condition its used once?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MDR_Photo 15 872 England
3 Jul 2006 5:48PM
Congratulations first of all.

Second people often refer to this site . I have looked there for a few ideas in the past, can't give a definate answer myself.

Michael
Origami_Owl 16 786
3 Jul 2006 5:51PM
I used to work at a publishers, and I regularly bought stock photography for the front covers, they were only being used at 5cm square... we were paying between 70 and 200 for those pics. The print run for those books was around 10,000 so it would have double usage.

I'd say, if they are a established firm with a budget for these things then anything around the 100 to 150 mark would be a good result.

You can check the Alamy size/price reference to see how much you'd pay if you wanted similar - good backup knowledge.

If you panic, then 50.

Paul
Snapper Plus
14 4.4k 3 Scotland
3 Jul 2006 5:51PM
The NUJ publish rates for all sorts of uses, so have a look here and see what ballpark you should be in.

Oops, Michael beat me to it!
Origami_Owl 16 786
3 Jul 2006 5:53PM
Good link there, Michael - and I'd forgotten that I was buying for World rights English language, which puts the price right up. Over to you, Matt - what territory is it going to?

Paul

p.s. don't sell the rights to the image, sell them a one usage term for the 5000 print run that they're wanting, then you can sell it again for non-exclusive rights.
keithh 16 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
3 Jul 2006 6:28PM
Paul's initial quote of 100-150 is about right, although non exclusivity, ..ie..it's not alone on the cover... can bring the price down by share and 5,000 copies is a low volume print run.

I wouldn't use the NUJ for a quote on anything like this
MDR_Photo 15 872 England
3 Jul 2006 7:41PM
Go with Keith, he's the expert. Like I said I have no definate answer and just provided a link that might be useful. Hope all goes well, let us know once a price is agreed!
mattberry 15 259 14 Greece
3 Jul 2006 8:07PM
Thanks to everyone for their advise on this, its really appreciated. I will approach them with a figure of no more than 150 then, and perhaps somewhere between 50 - 100.

I don't want to lose the sale by being greedy, its not all about the money for me, just to make a first sale is the buzz Smile

I take the point about selling the exclusive rights, I will offer to sell it for this one use only.

Thanks once again and I will post the outcome when I find out.

Matt

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.