Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

I'm looking to buy a bridge camera.

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2016 2:47PM
Hi all...I'm looking to buy a bridge camera,

... I already have Fujifilm X-S1 with a 25mm zoom, I would like something better.
probably 50/60 x zoom.
I'm considering a Samsung WB2200F, It has a longer zoom but I'm worried that I may not like it any more than my X-S1.
.....Anybody got/use/had a bridge camera recently...can you recommend anything ?

.....Many thanks.....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

petebfrance 7 2.8k France
19 Sep 2016 3:09PM
My current bridge camera is a Canon SX50HS (now replaced by the SX60HS). It's pretty good, although I've not tried others except my old Fuji S5600 which was nicer but not as versatile. Don't know anything about the Samsung, but unless you've seen it before you may find this interesting: DPR superzoom round-up as the Samsung and Fuji are in it. Apologies to Epz for linking to DPR but I think this may help.
19 Sep 2016 9:52PM
My camera is a Canon SX60, I'm very happy with it and the 60 zoom, I also like the tilt screen.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
19 Sep 2016 10:07PM
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1000, got rid of everything else. I tried others, and for my purposes, I would not go any less than a 1 inch sensor. I find I can crop about as much as I could the Olympus EM5 images, and get the same quality. The lens equals or betters any medium or entry level lens I had with Nikon, Canon, and comes close to the Panasonic and Olympus primes. I have over 50,000 images on my hard drives taken with a variety of MFT lenses and the EM5, and I really don't see much difference. The only other bridge camera I would consider for wildlife/nature, is the latest Sony, at least 2.5 times the price of what I have.
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
20 Sep 2016 12:43AM
The Panny FZ1000 certainly seems top of the heap at present as regards bridge cameras, but you may want to look at a few others reviewed by EPZ:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-11-best-ultra-zoom-bridge-digital-cameras-2016-16928
Ted447 Plus
6 216 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2016 7:52AM
I have the Panasonic FZ1000 it's a brilliant bridge camera.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
20 Sep 2016 8:27AM
20 Sep 2016 1:42PM
Thanks everybody...this's proving more difficult than I first thought.

I like the Panasonic FZ1000, good size compared to many of the others but I don't think I could live with the short 16x zoom, looking for 60x.
My only photographic interest is wildlife.
Wouldn't want to pay the premium price and not be happy.

I was hoping to find another with a manual zoom like the Fuji X-S1 but that appears to have been abandonded after the S1

The FZ72 and the SX60HS appear a bit on the small size but I may have to take a chance and settle for one of those.

Thanks everyone....Mike
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
20 Sep 2016 1:47PM

Quote:My only photographic interest is wildlife.

I think you would find a 60x zoom is hugely compromised and the results could be disappointing, i.e. nothing like you have been able to achieve with system equipment.

If quality of results is not an issue though, fair enough.
pablophotographer 8 1.3k 354
20 Sep 2016 2:20PM
I would go for the Samsung if you prefer a chunky hold, it had good reviews when it was introduced in the market. I think that Samsung stopped selling cameras in Europe if I am not mistaken... I do like the OLED screens they use, rich colours and much better than Sony.
pablophotographer 8 1.3k 354
20 Sep 2016 2:24PM
20 Sep 2016 2:51PM
if you have a tenner spare you can try one out

cheers Pablo.....I wish... (Smile
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
20 Sep 2016 6:46PM

Quote:I like the Panasonic FZ1000, good size compared to many of the others but I don't think I could live with the short 16x zoom, looking for 60x

Mike the FZ1000 goes to 25-800mm, which for stills is about what I would consider max for handholding. However, that focal length is only available when shooting jpeg. It gives excellent results, but I prefer to use the 400mm with RAW, and crop. I find I get much better results in the final processed image. If you don't mind jpeg, it's a good feature. When shooting video, depending on mode and resolution, it goes close to 1200mm with the sensor crop. I have videos of excellent quality, using about 1050mm, but where would I show them at that quality except on my own monitor at home? I'm not about to put out even more money just to show my videos on the internet. After reading the reviews, take a look at some of the reviews on youtube, especially the Panasonic one that shows some neat features that are very useful. There are other features that one can only appreciate by using the camera for some time. Good luck. Watch these 20 videos for some basic info on the camera. Note: There has been a change for the better in one of these features, but I can't remember which one. Those videos are short.
petebfrance 7 2.8k France
20 Sep 2016 8:10PM
Mike, sorry, if I'm out of order with this, but having looked through your PF I'm not at all sure you are going to enjoy using a small sensor bridge camera. For example, I've rarely (if ever, come to think of it) got more out of the raws with mine than the JPEGS can deliver - the JPEG engine really does a fine job, otherwise the results would frankly be unuseable, and waiting for stabilisation to settle down has lost me loads of shots - bumping up the ISO is not a feasible option except perhaps in very bright sunlight. There are others who have done better with raws, I believe, but life's too short to spend on that as far as I'm concerned. Also, subject isolation is poor and BIF can 'tricky' although others manage it. There was a comment on one review site that the JPEG engine on my SX50 used the equivalent of 50% sharpening - not a complaint they said as it works rather well, but an indication of how poor a small sensor can be compared to a reasonably sized one. I suspect you will do rather better than I can with one, but they aren't the 'silver bullet' as I'm sure you know..
The reason I linked to the DPR review was that as they had tested your existing camera their downsides with it may ring a bell with you and you may find others that don't have the same problem. Looks like it didn't give the answer.
The only other thing I can think of at the moment (other than looking at Flickr et al) is to visit 'birdforum' if you haven't already - there's section on cameras with some examples of what people are getting with them.
3 Oct 2016 2:38PM
Hello again....well, rightly or wrongly, I bought one.. an FZ1000
Spent ages trying to find one without success, then on Friday WEX listed a used one.
No sooner I ordered it than John Lewis got them back in stock
Mine was 150 cheaper so I think I'm still a winner, arrived this morning, like new.
Love the size, similar to my 2 SLR's....suits me fine.
I just hope I'll be able to take some pics worthy of posting.

....many thanks for all your help and advice.....Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.