Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

I'm still having problems with my internet connection.

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
17 Jan 2016 8:28AM
Hi... I've posted about this recently, my internet connection is via a 10 metre RJ11 cable which fails intermitantly .
It has been suggested by members, more knowledgable than me that I should connect via a WiFi router.
I put my problem to BT, my provider, and they sent me a Dongle (30).
I thought that I was getting a router as well, I do not understand these things but I don't see how this dongle can work without something to connect to wirelessly.
I have 10 days in which I can return it so I'd appreciate your comments.
...many thanks....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
17 Jan 2016 8:39AM
What is your current router? It may well be that it already has wifi.

17 Jan 2016 8:51AM
cheers Chris....don't know if this means anything :
but it is a "BT Home Hub 4"
....thanks....Mike
dlm71 4 221 2 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2016 8:59AM
Hi Mike, Is it a laptop or Desktop PC you are trying to connect over wifi? The dongle they have sent you is usually to give an item wifi access that didn't have wifi capability as standard, If you post the model number of the laptop/desktop we can tell you if it shipped with wifi capability! If the case is that it did come with wifi capability you could send the dongle back for a refund.

Then what we need to find out is what router you have and wether that has wifi capability, same again post the details of the router that you plug your Ethernet cable into then we can advise from there.

Hope this helps?
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
17 Jan 2016 9:00AM
Yep, that has wifi.

Have a look through here to work out how to enable it (if it's not already enabled) and where to get the details that your dongle needs to connect to it.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44413/~/bt-home-hub-4
dlm71 4 221 2 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2016 9:03AM
The BT Home Hub 4 is fully wifi compliant so we just need to know the same now for your laptop/desktop.

shagnasty 13 46
17 Jan 2016 9:28AM
Hi Mike,
The dongle should have also been supplied with CD/DVD containing its drivers.
Install them first, then connect the dongle into a USB port on your computer when then the installer asks you to.
If you have the same dongle as I use - the BT Dongle 600, then there is a WPS button on the side.
Press the WPS button on the router and the WPS button on the dongle at the same time. As you press each, you have a 10-15 second window for the two units to see each other and register. (Using the WPS feature saves you having to enter the Hubs wireless key.)
Having completed the above, it should be "job done" and you have the benefit of a strong wireless signal between your router and the computer.

Hope this helps

Pat
steve_p 14 1.2k England
17 Jan 2016 9:50AM

Quote:cheers Chris....don't know if this means anything :
but it is a "BT Home Hub 4"
....thanks....Mike

That is a wi fi router, should be straightforward to connect. I have one of those. You can download instructions if you can connect to the Internet!
17 Jan 2016 2:15PM
Thanks everyone...your help is much appreciated.

Quote:If you post the model number of the laptop/desktop we can tell you if it shipped with wifi capability! If the case is that it did come with wifi capability you could send the dongle back for a refund.

I am using a desktop PC...as far as I know it does have WiFi capability.
There are half a dozen numbers on the back, not sure which one is relevant.

There appears to be some conflict as to whether I need the dongle, which is indeed a
"BT dongle 600" Pat, and there is a WPS button on the side as you said
You make this sound very easy Pat...do I not need to use the instructions CD ?
Like I've said I am presently connected with a 10 metre RJ11 cable.
I think this 10 metres is what's causing me problems but while it's working I'm scared to interrupt it.
If using the dongle do I leave the RJ11 cable as is and leave it connected to the
ADSL filter ? or do I unplug this cable at both ends ?
Like I've said previously, my main phone line is at the front of the house and my computer at the back...hence the 10 metres Smile
.....This has just occurred to me, do I move my router to the front ?
....many thanks Pat....much obliged everyone.....Mike
steve_p 14 1.2k England
17 Jan 2016 3:05PM

Quote:This has just occurred to me, do I move my router to the front ?

Your router should always be connected to the main socket if at all possible. I was having trouble with my internet dropping out- when I did this it helped to maintain a stable connection.
I dont think this will help in your case normally a wired connection is more stable than wireless, unless there is a problem with the cable.
17 Jan 2016 5:04PM
.....thanks Steve....and everyone.....Mike
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
17 Jan 2016 8:22PM
Mike, is the 10 metre cable between your PC and the router, or the router and the phone socket? You say RJ11, so I assume it's the phone cable.
If you move the router next to the phone socket and use a small cable, then a long CAT5/5e/6 cable (the one with RJ45 connectors) from the PC to the router, you should be fine and not need wifi.
18 Jan 2016 6:10AM
Thanks Bri...the 10 metre RJ11 cable is between my router and the main phone socket but unfortunately I laid the cable under the floorboards when the area was free of carpeting....no way could I replace it now.
....cheers....Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.