Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

I need a book!

Maddie 15 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
21 May 2005 4:17AM
hi, does anyone know of any good books about digital photography that is EASY to understand and interesting. i have got adobe cs2 to play with. thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TeresaH 15 1.1k United Kingdom
21 May 2005 6:21AM
Maddie, you could try searching Amazon, they normally give reviews.
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
21 May 2005 6:24AM
If you're just starting out Maddie, I would suggest that CS or CS2 are a bit OTT at this stage. PS Elements III is a better starting point IMHO as it has far more 'automation' (and I don't mean that in a derogitory sense) that will derive pleasing results quickly rather that long periods of frustration because CS/CS2 is '...not doing what I want!'

Just a suggestion...

As for books, this site has a raft of excellent 'Techniques' to get you started whilst you hunt down a suitable book.

Mike
21 May 2005 7:13AM
thanks for that guys
21 May 2005 7:15AM
i think your probably right mike.
Little Jo Plus
18 2.3k United Kingdom
21 May 2005 9:07AM
Photoshop will be a challenge if you're just starting out in digital photography, the best book I found on CS was by an American chappie called Ben Willmore. He really explains the software in plain language and why you do what you do. It is worth gaining that understanding if you want to get the best from the software. Scott Kelby does an excellent book on Photoshop for Digital Photographers, the CS2 version is out in the US, but not in the UK as yet. It's very much a how-to book and great for getting started as it takes you stepwise through the manipulation you're trying to perform.

Gaining an understanding will take time, but necessary if you want to get the best from an expensive piece of software. If you were just going to muddle through, then yes, Photoshop Elements 3 would have been more suitable.

CS2 books should be reaching the bookshops through the summer and early autumn.

I hope this helps.

Jo
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
21 May 2005 9:16AM
Maddie, I spent hundreds of dollars on books and I just couldn't get an understanding of PS from them. I got an e-book from 123di.com and it's amazing. It's animated and interactive, you see the processes take place on the screen, and it covers Elements 2 and 3, CS, and CS2 will be a free download for subscribers, and updating is also free. It's also highly recommended by dpreview. here's a link to a free demo.
21 May 2005 1:43PM
cheers again ,i can probably get my hands on an elements disc, off to america in october so i could get the cs2 book then!
Cristian 15 950 1
21 May 2005 2:43PM
Maddie, I got a DSLR at Christmas having never touched nor used one before. (which probably shows from my portfolio! lol). Anyway, I made sure that my New Years resolution was to join a local library and have since loaned a number of books. To be honest, I found that each book offered different bits of interest, but at least it gives you the opportunity to learn from a few books and then purchase any that really catch your eye.

Happy Snapping

Cristian
ajm 16 232
21 May 2005 3:03PM
If you can - find a local camera club, many offer beginners classes, included inthe cost of membership - you will also have the knowledge of other members to tap into.
26 May 2005 3:14PM
thanks again everyone

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.