Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

I need a new computer

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
1 Jan 2017 12:12PM
Hi...my computer is on the blink....I'm struggling for cash and I'd about decided to not bother then I came across one at John Lewis...HP badged 230 and a Samsung 24" monitor at 117....and a 2 year warranty.
I don't need anything special...check in with EPZ...check my bank balance...Load the odd picture to ephotozine, one or two other things and it seemed a shame not to have one at this price, less than 350 all in..
It's very slim, only 10 cm wide...does this matter ? the one I've been using is twice as wide.

...anyone any views on this ?.....appreciate any advice ....cheers....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
1 Jan 2017 12:58PM
Hi Mike,

I suspect folk might want a little more info Mike: the spec (processor, HD capacity and RAM for example) and whether you'll be doing any post processing with it. If so what software you'll be using for this.

Happy New Year to you!

A.
Nikonuser1 Plus
7 160 16 United Kingdom
1 Jan 2017 1:54PM
Hi

Mike

I still have a HP Pavilion Slimline Series 5760 UK Has a AMD processor and separate graphic card, 1TB HDD, and a HP monitor( it came as a kit) it has been running for approx 6 years now, only 2 faults after approx 5 years the Power supply failed(found out it was a common fault with this series) cost about 25, and easily fitted, the Motherboard battery failed, another easy fit and only cost 2.
It ran Windows 10, LR, PS, and Google Nik Collection.

Have Just built my own and the daughter is using the HP.

Hope this helps

Cliff
rambler Plus
11 1.0k 17 England
1 Jan 2017 3:26PM
Does size matter, not at all, it what you can do with it that counts. I do most of my processing etc. on a laptop.

You will ideally need 6 megabytes of RAM or better for fast processing but it is not essential.
Ken
Pj0 8 14 Wales
1 Jan 2017 4:07PM
A smaller case may mean custom or non standard parts. Not an issue during the warranty period, but may become one after. It also means that upgrades or adding additional disks (etc.) may not be an option.

Which model did you have in mind?
robthecamman 8 1.7k United Kingdom
1 Jan 2017 5:24PM
cant you fix old one
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
1 Jan 2017 8:57PM
Thanks people...the one I have in mind at JL is the HP slimline 411-A020NA at 230
...It has 4gig of ram, maximum installable of 8gig, I don't do a lot of processing, if any.
I have no idea how to fix my old one...some things work sometimes, some things don't
I thought It'd be easier to by new than spend money getting this looked at and it still not being right....been there in the past.
If it lasts me 2 years I'm happy.....cheers....Mike
janeez 11 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2017 10:10AM
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me especially with a Samsung monitor. If you don't require any more than 8gb RAM then it should be good for you. I would imaging it will still be a higher spec than your old machine. May be worth taking a look at Ebuyer website as well as they have some pretty good deals on there.
janeez 11 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2017 10:29AM
Just checked and it looks like you could get this Zoostorm for just under 220 and a monitor from 62 which would give you a better spec and save you a few quid as well. (I love a bargain!) Smile
Pj0 8 14 Wales
2 Jan 2017 11:53AM
Depending on the age of your system, the processor in the HP may well be slower than you currently have. It's a chip geared more towards low power and heat than performance.

The cpu in the next model up at JL (the lenovo 510S with the Intel i3-6100) is significantly faster. I'd be more tempted by it than the HP, particularly as it already has 8GB of ram.

I can't personally vouch for either model and which is best depends heavily on your usage. That said it pays to shop around, there are occasionally very good deals to be had.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.