I need a US photo supplier

Farris 14 24
29 Aug 2005 8:00PM
anybody know of a good supplier in the US? I need to order a lot of stuff for the class I just started. I checked a couple websites but they didn't sell Film in bricks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tim franklin 16 2.7k
4 Sep 2005 1:11PM
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
4 Sep 2005 2:12PM
Or bhphoto.com, they pretty much have everything.
User_Removed 18 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2005 10:08PM
Are you talking about B&H in New York - in which case you mean www.bhphotovideo.com

They are very good people to deal with - I have bought many items from them including a 500mm lens which was ordered on a Friday afternoon and was delivered to my door in North Wales at 8am Tuesday morning!
goatster 15 399
4 Sep 2005 11:52PM
Barrie,

How did you go on with duty etc when you bought the lens?

Tony
5 Sep 2005 12:30AM
Hi Tony

Obviously this was a legal importation and therefore the entire package (I bought a few things) was subject to UK duty and VAT.

The duty on the kit I bought was 6.9% which is (or was then) the standard amount for photo kit (the exception being digital camera bodies which are zero rated) and then there was VAT to be paid on the whole amount (yes - on the duty as well - thieving B*******).

The duty is paid to the courier company (UPS) when they deliver.

It was all very easy and painless and I saved a huge amount (even after the duty/VAT was paid)

Barrie
goatster 15 399
5 Sep 2005 1:04AM
Who do you pay the VAT to when you get the goods?

Tony
Henchard 15 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 1:25AM

Quote:Who do you pay the VAT to when you get the goods?

Its collected by the courier e.g. Parcel Force plus a handling fee usually.
5 Sep 2005 1:28AM
Hi again Tony

I should have said that in my post - when I say you pay the duty to the courier (UPS in my case) I meant Duty and VAT.

As UPS was the trans-Atlantic carrier for my purchase, they didn't charge a 'handling fee' (they didn't in my case anyway!)

Barrie Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.