The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

I need to calibrate my laptop's monitor!

ovi 15 11 1 Romania
13 Oct 2005 7:16AM
Can somebody offer me assistance in order to calibrate properly my laptop's minotor,please?
I've got a Packard Bell and I can see any button to do it.
Thank everyone for your help.
ovi.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ewan 16 383 Scotland
13 Oct 2005 7:50AM
Not all laptops will give you control over brightness and contrast to allow you basic calibration. What model of PB do you have?

Calibration software/devices such as the Colorvision Spyder will let you calibrate without these controls but you have to pay Wink.
nomisco 16 237
13 Oct 2005 11:47PM
Have a look in the Advanced area of the Display Properties. You may find colour and gamma adjustment within the driver there.

I've never seen a laptop with seperate screen controls.
Anthony 18 5.6k 17 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2005 4:19PM
I have an Advent, and tongiht found the control for adjusting brightness. Maybe it'll help.

I found that if I press the Fn (Function) button, and along the top number pad, is a sun symbol, with an up and down option. This lets me adjust the brightness. Have not found contrast yet, but hope this helps in some way.

Anthony
nomisco 16 237
23 Oct 2005 12:31AM
Most if not all laptops have that, though I'm not aware of any contrast adjustment.

I think the advanced properties of the display adapter is the only way (if any) to adjust colour.
kokobrown 15 1.9k Scotland
24 Oct 2005 8:24AM
On my laptop, I just right click the desktop and click properties, then the settings tab, then clik the advanced button, then click on the colour tab and it should allow you to change settings there..

HTH

Laura
xx
bayliss444 15 23
28 Oct 2005 12:07PM
I you go into properties, by right click and chose properties as when changing screen save. choose setting tab. and then advanced. may have the setting you require there. depending on your software. my laptop in the advance setting has adjusters such as colour managment and contrast, brightness and variours colour adjustment. Hope this helps.
regards Brian
bayliss444 15 23
28 Oct 2005 12:08PM
I you go into properties, by right click and chose properties as when changing screen save. choose setting tab. and then advanced. may have the setting you require there. depending on your software. my laptop in the advance setting has adjusters such as colour managment and contrast, brightness and variours colour adjustment. Hope this helps.
regards Brian
28 Oct 2005 1:22PM
I tried to calibrate my Sony Vaio, a complete disaster folowed by months of frustration. Things were eventually sorted out with an 'Eye One' from Gretag Macbeth. Very easy to use, I now do it weekly. Wish I had done this earlier.

Simon
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
28 Oct 2005 1:26PM
Simon, what did you do? How did you calibrate it and what happened?

cole
patters 15 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2005 1:30PM
seriously.
I would be carefull calibrating a laptop monitor with the vid driver. I bought a Spyder, and calibrated the laptop LCD with RGB sliders in the driver. The spyder said all was well, but the screen was not just showing poor colours, they where totaly wrong.

The windows logo was like a weird color neg, wish I'd have taken a screenshot.
yoguko 15 302 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2005 1:40PM
I use a Spyder 2 on my laptop (17" Clevo) and I just let the software do it all. The problem with laptops is that what you think the brightness control is (Fn key + a number) is actually the light intensity, not the brightness. If you calibrate a CRT, they have "proper" brightness and contrast controls, as well as RGB guns' controls. With a laptop, you can safely leave it to the software to do it. The first time I did it was an amazing difference. Just be sure to remove Adobe Gamma from your startup folder when you do it, otherwise you'll be applying the calibration settings twice. With the Spyder I got Doctor Pro, which is an ICC management program. With this is managed to fine tune my (already good enough) ICC profile for my printer (which I have custom made from Fotospeed). Now, what I see, is what I get!
EnigmaPhoto 14 487 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2005 1:41PM
If you have Photoshop installed, then Adobe gamma is at least a half-way house and better than nothing. Above that, the Spyder system or similar is your next (and better) option.
patters 15 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2005 1:42PM
thats the way on a laptop I thing yoguko
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
28 Oct 2005 2:30PM

Quote:With a laptop, you can safely leave it to the software to do it.

Yoguko, do you mean only use the software that comes with spyder to calibrate the laptop monitor without putting the hardware calibrator on top of the screen?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.