Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

I-Touch questions

simont 16 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2010 1:08PM
Ok, I知 hoping that someone out there can answer a few, probably obvious, questions regarding the I-Touch.

1. You need a Wi-Fi connection to access the internet and Apps store. I知 presuming that this means I値l need to configure it to access my Sky router for normal home use. But what happens if internet access is attempted a few miles away from the router I致e configured it to use? Can it still gain access and if so how and who pays the bill?

2. Can access to the Internet be restricted to prevent access to dodgy sites?

3. What do people do about virus protection software on these as presumably they are vulnerable to attack like any normal pc/laptop?

4. My son has a fair few stories on CD that we致e ripped and burnt onto a memory stick so that he can listen to them in the car. Can I simply copy these over to the I-Touch or will they need re-ripping and burning in a different format?

No doubt I値l have a few more questions later.

Simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2010 1:34PM
I assume you are talking about the ipod touch?

1. It will pickup all nearby wireless networks, if they allow you access then you can get on the web. if not, then you can't.

2. Don' think so.

3. not really needed as you can only installstuff through the app store.

4. you have to upload them using that fine piece of software...iTunes
29 Oct 2010 2:05PM
Thanks for the reply.
wizardsmagic 15 49 England
29 Oct 2010 2:29PM
Hello Simon

1. You are correct that you will need to configure the Ipod Touch to connect to your Home Wireless. If you are too far away for the iPod to be able to receive the wireless signal it will not be able to connect. It will, however, pick up any wireless signal (which broadcasts its presence) in the area you happen to be in. Usually you will not be able to connect to these, but there are quite a few free wireless hotspots around which you can connect to. Some of the chain food outlets do free wifi i.e. McDonalds.

2. Limited restriction is available through the settings for Safari (which is the default internet browser). You can block pop-ups and cookies etc, and it has it's own Fraud Warning, I don't know how effective that is though.

3. As Lobsterboy mentioned these devices aren't as open as laptops etc, so virus protection is not a large issue so far. And just to fuel a nice little arguement on the boards, the operating system is Mac based, so much more secure than any windows system.

4. To use the Ipod Touch you will need to install iTunes on your PC. Some hate it, I like it. You will be able to import your son's CDs into iTunes, and then synchronise the touch to copy them down to it.
29 Oct 2010 2:32PM
Thanks Mark.
lobsterboy Plus
29 Oct 2010 2:44PM

Quote:the operating system is Mac based, so much more secure than any windows system

Its not really that which protects it, more the entirely closed nature of the beast.
As you can only load up software that Apple approve, problems with rogue software are avoided.
WilliamRoar 12 188 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2010 4:22PM
It's only vulnerable if you Jailbreak it.
29 Oct 2010 4:24PM
Dare I ask what "jailbreak" is?
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2010 5:08PM
Its not Jailbait, to Jailbreak is to delete its belonging to a particular mobile phone operator.

The phone say tied to orange is reprogrammed to allow it to be used on other networks say o2. You might do this for better price plans or better coverage etc. It invalidates warrently and probally breaks contract so not recommended.
29 Oct 2010 5:12PM
Wont be a problem then as the I-Touch doesn't have the phone capabilities.
lobsterboy Plus
29 Oct 2010 10:02PM

Quote:Its not Jailbait, to Jailbreak is to delete its belonging to a particular mobile phone operator.

The phone say tied to orange is reprogrammed to allow it to be used on other networks say o2. You might do this for better price plans or better coverage etc. It invalidates warrently and probally breaks contract so not recommended.

More importantly it allows you to run software that Apple won't allow you to. If you want to use your iphone as a wireless access pointfor a computer you have to jailbreak it.
cathal 15 492 4 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2010 10:58PM
A couple of points worth throwing in...

The iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad all use an operating system that has recently been named "iOS". Contrary to popular belief, it is not based on Mac OSx. It is a new a very different system, but works seamlessly with OSx.

The concept of "jailbreaking" doesn't apply to the iPod Touch or iPad. Jailbreaking became popular to enable the use of "locked" iPhones on other cellular networks. In markets where you can now buy them unlocked direct from Apple, the demand for this has fallen. Jailbreaking also enabled the use of "unauthorised" software. This is not desirable in my opinion, as it leaves the system open to attack and abuse from rogue applications and code.

Some of the functions that are possible on a jailbroken iPhone are not prohibited by Apple, but by the network operators. Tethering your iPhone to a computer to get internet access, as an example, is not popular with the operators.

Which ever iOS device you get, enjoy!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.