Zoner Photo Studio X: The only photo editor you'll ever need - save 25%

IE Pop up controls..

sillyconguru 17 4.4k
11 Sep 2004 8:50PM
Wibble
loweskid 20 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2004 9:19PM
The popup blocker in XP SP2 is awful. It stops most popups you actually want.

If it blocks anything it displays a bar which you can click on if you want to see the pop-up.

Don't install SP2 if you don't have to (it'll probably cause more problems than it'll fix).

I installed SP2 over two weeks ago and have not had any problems whatsoever. In fact Explorer used to regularly shut down and restart with most of the task bar icons missing. It hasn't done this since I installed SP2. It would be useful to us to know what experience or evidence you have on which you base your statement.
sillyconguru 17 4.4k
11 Sep 2004 9:26PM
Wibble
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2004 10:57PM
I installed SP2 a couple of weeks back no problems. I like the pop up blocker as the dammed things always annoyed me. I think pop ups are just a sign of intrusive bad web design, the sooner they go the better IMHO.

I hope you have not got broadband sillyconguru as some of the know holes in the system could leave you at risk. Xp is only a variant of 2000 which itself is an update of NT.

Comments on the ills of Microsoft patches reminds me of the great millennium bug non event.

P.S NTFS for Xp is modified from 2000, so much that a 2000 system cannot read an Xp created NTFS partition. And you do know that you can run Xp in Classic Mode where it loks and feels like 2000, which it basically is.
sillyconguru 17 4.4k
11 Sep 2004 11:14PM
Wibble
FrankThomas 18 2.8k United Kingdom
11 Sep 2004 11:22PM
...I have never used the XP Firewall (which I was told by an IT engineer "is useless")...
That's the understatement of the decade.

I can't install SP2 yet until microsoft fix the problem that mean the VPN connection to work stops. They are "investigating" or so I'm told (I don't hold out much hope to be honest.)
stevenj 18 2.0k England
12 Sep 2004 12:29AM
My VPN works fine Frank, whats up with yours?
Sorry, OT.
FrankThomas 18 2.8k United Kingdom
12 Sep 2004 12:31AM
it's the VPN server at the other end - something in the security settings knackers it
stevenj 18 2.0k England
12 Sep 2004 12:35AM
From what I heard, some CISCO clients are incompatible with SP2 when using TCP. Works fine through UDP though. If you know what I mean!?

(Back on topic)
I've used SP2 for a while now, with no problems apart from one minor issue which involved Java. The pop up blocker is ok, but as with a lot of things, 3rd party software can do a better job at no extra cost.
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
12 Sep 2004 8:45AM
I have some software that generates HTML around some images, to display thumbnails, then a bit of javascript so that when you click an image, it opens in a new (fullscreen) window. With XP SP2, you click the image, you get the bar saying it has blocked something, but even if you use the option to allow it, every time you click an image, you get a new task appear in the taskbar, but no new window.

The javascript is also used so that if you right click an image, it pops up a copyright message. You'll find that by default, SP2 also blocks this and allows full right click functionality.
stevenj 18 2.0k England
12 Sep 2004 9:01AM
Bri, this is something I had trouble with at first. I have a webmail client set up for users at work, and I found that it blocked the javascript windows which displayed attachments.

I cured it by changing the javascript options in the IE options (Tools, Internet Options, Security tab, Custom button - think it was under 'scripting'). SP2 is crafty in that I think it disables some java scripting. It sounds like a similar issue for you Bri?
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
12 Sep 2004 9:10AM
maybe. I just turned the whole thing off.

we were instructed by our "very knowledgeable" IT people to install SP2, then last week we were told "if you haven't installed it, don't. If you have, please uninstall it".

I;ve got round my problems, so I suspected uninstalling it would just cause me more....
stevenj 18 2.0k England
12 Sep 2004 9:22AM
Yeh, I wouldn't uninstall it now either, the system adjusts certain settings when you install it and I believe that it forgets to revert them back when it's removed.

I found that turning the pop up blocker off had no effect so I had to change the settings in IE.

Bri, there are very few genuine "very knowledgeable" IT people around these days! I strive to bridge that gap ;o)
tetra2000 17 36
12 Sep 2004 9:31AM
Bin IE - leave it to rot in the corner of your harddrive.

Move on to FIREFOX. It's safe, VERY fast and comes with a pop-up block installed.

You can even install little plugins to enhance your browsing, inc. things like 'Mouse Gesturers' which you can use to flick backwards & forward though webpages, open new windows etc with just the flick of your mouse in a certain direction. Another good plugin is one that allows you to zoom in/scale images directly in the page.

I've always been sceptical about Open Source products - but you won't be disapointed with Firefox at all.
stevenj 18 2.0k England
12 Sep 2004 10:53AM
Apart from when you use services that only allow IE. Thats what becomes of it being the industry standard I suppose!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.